Tides Advocacy is a team of political, legal, and financial experts that identify, connect, and fuel movements for social justice and the health of our democracy. We leverage our 25 year progressive network, navigate the rules, and solve problems in order to make advocacy.
Tides Advocacy has over 85 partners who represent activists, donors, movement leaders, lawyers, researchers, and journalists who are promoting equity, justice, and dignity for all. They are engaged in ballot, electoral, and legislative campaigns as well as public education and charitable activities.
From funder advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides Advocacy gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change they want to see. For more information, please visit tidesadvocacy.org.
The Accounting Specialist works with Tides Advocacy staff to provide timely and accurate delivery of accounts payable and accounts receivable services on a daily basis. This role is also responsible for tracking credit card receipts and preparing month end journal entries.
The Accounting Specialist is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Process all Accounts Payable transactions including obtaining appropriate documentation, verifying coding, data entry, processing outgoing wires, ACH, and checks for expedites, and weekly check runs.
· Process all incoming checks, wires, ACH and securities including verifying coding, depositing and data entry.
· Respond to AP/AR requests from internal staff and external clients in a timely manner.
· Track P-card receipts by working with P-card Administrator and follow up with employees for missing P-card receipts.
· Prepare month end journal entries.
· Assist with year-end 1099s.
· Assist in the preparation of annual audit.
· Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong motivation and ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks and assignments within a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
· Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems of accounting related issues.
· Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to work collaboratively with internal staff and external clients.
· Proficiency with MS Office and NetSuite preferred.
Education and Experience:
· Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting
· 1 to 2 years of experience in Accounts Receivable/Account Payable
· Non-profit accounting experience preferred
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides Advocacy is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Areas of impact
- Social Sector