Assistant Director of Communications, Sustainability
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Serve as the primary communications strategist and officer for Harvard's Office for Sustainability team and, within HPAC, lead planning, execution and collaboration with colleagues on Harvard-wide sustainability- and climate change-related communications.
• Develop, execute and maintain a communications, marketing and branding strategy designed to drive Harvard's sustainability narrative through creative and engaging storytelling via multiple platforms (digital and print) to a range of stakeholders (internal and external).
• Develop and maintain an annual communications strategy that aligns with the priorities and goals of the Office for Sustainability and Harvard's broader sustainability agenda.
• Translate research into action with case studies, stories and other media forms.
• Supervise the dissemination of timely information to internal and external audiences.
• Ensure accurate, consistent, and timely information across all communications channels.
• Work with internal customers across all Schools and units.
• Manage interns and external consultant assignments as needed to assure relevance, consistency and timely completion of projects.
• Create, implement and manage the OFS social media strategy and content.
• Identify, measure and report key metrics to evaluate the impact and success of communications and marketing strategies and activities; make evidence-based recommendations on next-level communications goals and strategies.
• Lead development and maintenance of various marketing and communications materials in conjunction with OFS senior management team, including strategic memos and briefings, websites, brochures, events promotion, PowerPoint presentations, talking points, and annual reports in support of the communications strategy.
• Write, edit, produce, and coordinate material for OFS website, monthly newsletter, senior leadership updates, quarterly Sustainability Management Council meetings, and other relevant priorities.
• Oversee sustainability website strategic vision, priorities as well as website management including content organization, creating, reviewing and posting content for updates as well as overseeing consultants related to website and graphic design.
• Manage and prepare sustainability reporting including annual internal and external reporting and other sustainability rankings and awards.
• Assist OFS, central administration and Schools to develop in-house communications (e.g., brochures, flyers, posters, templates, and signage) as needed for various projects and programs such as Harvard's climate goals, Sustainability Plan, University-wide sustainability working groups, and other initiatives. This could include: leading, co-leading and/or serve as a member of broader Harvard working groups, committees, and implementation teams for projects and initiatives that are focused on and related to sustainability and climate change.
• Write, edit, create and/or coordinate production of sustainability communications and sustainability-related content.
• Generate, coordinate and edit content suitable for delivery through a variety of media (email, web, mobile).
• Work with Senior Team members to prepare executive-level internal briefings and communications for University Senior leadership.
• Implement branding across OFS by altering existing materials and developing new materials as needed to achieve organizational goals.
• Manage media relations; serve as gatekeeper for media inquiries from local, national, and international organizations; work closely with OFS senior management and HPAC on message development; and serve as a spokesperson for the Office for Sustainability.
• Coordinate with HPAC on Harvard community publications, events, programs and website content to develop and integrate sustainability and climate change content University-wide.
• Manage other projects and programs, as needed.
• Bachelor's degree required.
• Seven or more years of exceptional communications strategy and management experience including communications strategic plans, writing, editing, graphical, content production.
• Strong understanding of sustainability and climate change issues.
• Experience leading media relations and cultivating strong relationships with beat reporters.
• Strong knowledge and experience deploying effective digital, social and online strategies and at least overseeing website strategy and development.
• Highly adept at translating complex information into relevant and understandable communications for multiple audiences.
• Skilled at diplomatically and successfully achieving goals in a complex, matrixed environment.
• Ability to manage projects, from conception to implementation with proven record of creating project plans with deadlines and aggressive timetables for implementation and review of materials.
• Experience working with outside vendors and consultants, including the ability to set project milestones and keep internal and external team members on time and on budget.
• Understanding of integrated marketing communications, strategy development, and implementation within large organizations serving a diverse population.
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and across departments.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with proven project management abilities.
• Graphical and multi-media skills.
About the Harvard Office for Sustainability:
Harvard University is committed to confronting the global challenges of climate change and sustainable development through its research, teaching, and institutional action. The Office for Sustainability (OFS), founded in 2008, plays a pivotal role in bringing together students, faculty, and staff to use the campus as a living laboratory for piloting and proving solutions that address sustainable goals and strive to model pathways to a sustainable and fossil fuel-free future. Our efforts are driven by a University-wide Sustainability Plan, living lab program and ambitious goals including climate goals to achieve a fossil fuel-free future by 2050.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our team of effective, dedicated, high-energy sustainability professionals working to drive organizational change to benefit Harvard and help others address complex systematic sustainable challenges at Harvard and globally. The Office for Sustainability is a fast-paced, dynamic, and changing organization and we look for talented, passionate individuals who thrive in this environment.
Visit the Sustainability at Harvard website, http://www.green.harvard.edu for more information.
Reporting to the Director of Media Relations and Communications at Harvard Public Affairs and Communications (HPAC) and the Managing Director at the Office for Sustainability (OFS), the Assistant Director is dedicated to serving the internal and external marketing and communications needs of the work driven by the Office for Sustainability to translate research and teaching into action to address global sustainable development and climate change. As a communications leader, strategist and creative storyteller, the Assistant Director will lead planning, development and execution of sustainability communications strategies and activities to support and amplify the ideas and solutions being generated by our community of students, faculty, and staff as part of Harvard's University-wide sustainability vision and priorities.
The Assistant Director is responsible for providing high-quality communications services, acting as the organization's brand ambassador and creative agent, and developing and distributing engaging, multi-media content. The Assistant Director will also work collaboratively with colleagues at OFS, as well as HPAC and across the University's Schools and academic/research initiatives, to streamline communications about the University's holistic commitment to sustainable development, climate action, and translating research and teaching into action on-campus in benefit to society.
Harvard University Benefits Package
Vacation/Sick/Personal/Holidays: Harvard offers 3 (union roles) - 4 (exempt) weeks paid vacation, a paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year's Day, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days each year.
Medical/Dental/Vision Benefit: Harvard offers a variety of excellent medical, dental, and vision plans which all begin on the first day of employment.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted study options through participating Harvard Graduate Schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as parking options to assist employees in their daily commute to campus.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. There are also fee-based athletic facility memberships available at various locations around the university for employees.
Harvard Public Affairs and Communications
USA - MA - Cambridge
Harvard Public Affairs and Communications
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/mfjbcnz3w3473xfk
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)