Assistant, Food and Forests
Assistant, Food and Forests
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit: www.ceres.org.
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Food and Forests program works to protect forests from the impacts of agriculture, largely with a focus on influencing the largest food and beverage companies to improve the sustainability of their agricultural sourcing policies and practices.
The Food and Forests team is seeking an Assistant to support the program broadly, as well as support key projects on agricultural initiatives. The Assistant will be part of a team of five working with investors, companies and other NGOS to improve agricultural sourcing practices. We seek an energetic, highly motivated, self-starter to play a critical administrative and programmatic support role, both internally and externally. This full-time position reports to the Program Director and will be located in Boston, MA.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work with the Program Director in setting up and maintaining systems for the Food and Forest team. Responsibilities include:
- Supporting staff on key projects, including organizing meetings with internal and external stakeholders and executing webinars;
- Organizing and supporting team and cross functional meetings, including arranging schedules, organizing agendas, taking notes and following up;
- Supporting the Director and other senior program staff on scheduling and travel logistics;
- Supporting HR related efforts, including recruitment and team training;
- Process the program staff’s expense reports, reimbursements, and other finance-related administrative duties;
- Organize and enhance excel-based tracking of program spending versus budgets.
- Assist in development and management of team planning, goal setting, and impact tracking, working in concert with the Director and project leads;
- Support coordination, logistics, and management of team retreats, working closely with the Director and project leads;
- Assist team in roll out and distribution activities of key reports and special projects;
- Help buildout and maintain partner contact lists, resources and projects in platforms such as Salesforce, Excel, The Ceres Investor Portal, etc.;
- Support monthly news flow tracking and newsletter to share with partners on food and forest risk issues;
- Assist with planning, coordination, and logistics for Ceres annual conference, Investor Summit, and other organization-wide events;
- Travel to meetings and events, as required.
- Associate or Bachelor degree preferred, or 2 years of experience where in-depth organization, time management, and administrative skills were developed.
- One to two years of work experience or internships, preferably direct experience working on sustainability-related issues
- Outstanding organizational, time management and administrative skills. Experience as an assistant to a senior executive, a plus.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative, motivation
- Ability to organize and execute multiple projects and to thrive in a fast-paced environment, with keen attention to detail
- Highly developed communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent research and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs, and e-mail computer applications
- Knowledge of, or experience with, sustainability issues, particularly understanding of the role of business, the investment community, and/or NGOs, a plus.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
- Project/ Program Management
- Research/Data Analysis
- Supply Chain
Areas of impact
- Private Sector
- Corporate Social Responsibility