Assistant, State Policy
Assistant, State Policy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Assistant, State Policy plays a critical support and coordination role on policy work, events, and internal and external communications. The Assistant will support the 8-person team in their work with companies and investors on a range of climate and energy policies, in over 15 states. This opening is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter looking to be a key part of Ceres’ state policy program. The position reports to the Director of State Policy. This position will be located in Boston, MA.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the state policy team, including scheduling phone calls, meeting or interviews.
- Conduct research on relevant state policy proposals, campaigns, media, and lawmakers.
- Coordinate event planning, logistics, and tracking for:
- Outreach activities to Governors, legislative staff, and administration officials.
- Webinars and presentation, to include preparation of slide decks
- State policy engagement events, advocacy days, and business recruitment events.
- Ceres annual conference
- Coordinate meeting logistics and support meetings and partners calls, including scheduling, drafting agendas, and taking notes.
- Provide writing support, on behalf of the state policy team, as needed.
- Serve as team’s database point person, including database support to team members and some data entry. Manage state team google drive, weekly projects, communications, and outreach to businesses.
- Lead on state policy tracking against deliverables (using Salesforce), including state engagement outreach, state influence, public climate statements from lawmakers on twitter and other media.
- Support on crafting social media content and tracking uptake of state policy content.
- Support Director on coordination efforts with other teams at Ceres and reporting out on successes of state policy initiative.
- Limited travel will be necessary for this position.
- Special projects as needed (e.g. supporting company recruitment).
- Outstanding organizational and administrative skills. Experience as an assistant, a plus.
- 1 year of work experience, preferably direct experience working in government or nonprofit sectors on policy issues.
- Knowledge of or experience with state legislatures, or state policy procedures, a plus.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to schedule quickly and efficiently.
- Experience paying attention to details in writing, logistics, and organizing meetings.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Successful record of organizing and managing multiple tasks and projects within tight timelines.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheets, Google Docs, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific applications necessary for work: RingCentral, Salesforce, project management programs, etc.
- Familiarity with Salesforce, a plus.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Corporate Social Responsibility