Associate, 10,000 Small Businesses
The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC) is a national not-for-profit organization founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter to promote economic development in America’s inner cities through private sector engagement that leads to job, income and wealth creation for local residents. Informed by our research, ICIC has developed or supported highly effective initiatives for underserved urban businesses to meet entrepreneurs’ most pressing needs. At ICIC, you will work with talented, creative and committed professionals in a collaborative culture dedicated to excellence and innovation.
ICIC is a national partner on the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses, a program designed to help entrepreneurs create jobs and economic opportunity by providing access to education, capital and business support services. ICIC is responsible for managing and advising on outreach, application and selection processes across all locations.
The Associate will provide project management, analytical, technological, and process related support on the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program. In addition to leading and promoting our strategic advising work with specific sites, the Associate will be asked to identify creative methods for both optimizing current processes and implementing new processes within programmatic guidelines. The position offers opportunity for increased responsibility and exposure to external stakeholders including the Goldman Sachs Foundation and Babson College. Core responsibilities may include:
- Coordinating and managing outreach, recruitment, application, and selection with non-ICIC program staff at multiple program sites.
- Developing small business recruitment strategies based on program data, market research, and best practices.
- Managing complex partner relationships with program site teams and Goldman Sachs Foundation staff
- Analyzing data on small business applicants and participants and presenting key findings to funder and program partners
- Participating in the evaluation and selection process for program applicants, including facilitation of interviews with program applicants and site partners.
- Managing program contact management systems and internal databases.
The successful candidate is a highly organized self-starter with experience providing data analysis, outreach support, and relationship management while managing multi-stakeholder partnerships. This candidate will be inspired by the work that we do at ICIC and passionate about supporting small businesses.
- A bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of work experience, with some prior experience in program management, grant-based, or partnership-based work
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills
- A team player inclination: collaborative, solutions-oriented, and excited to work with other team members or departments
- Experience building and maintaining positive relationships with clients and partners
- Ability to manage multiple tasks; flexible with changing priorities
- Willingness and ability to travel approximately 25% of annual time
- Strong problem solving, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Experience developing and executing strategic marketing campaigns is a plus
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required; experience with GIS and Adobe Acrobat Pro a plus
We’re looking for a good-humored and socially conscious individual who feels passionate about supporting the mission and work of our organization. Individuals often work autonomously and are encouraged to contribute ideas and effort as organization needs and individual skills allow. We work in a fast-paced environment, and staff are expected to perform at a high level from the beginning, so resourcefulness and persistence in problem-solving are key ingredients in employee success.
ICIC is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and inclusive organization and strongly encourages applications from minorities. We provide equal opportunity for all persons seeking employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender identity, family status, sexual orientation, military status, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic as established by law. This a full-time position based out of our office in Boston’s Dudley Square area.
To be considered for this position, please apply through our application page: https://icic.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=28&source=NetImpact
In lieu of a cover letter, please share thoughtful responses to the following questions in 4-7 sentences:
1. Why do you want to work at ICIC? Why are you interested in a role within the 10,000 Small Businesses program?
2. Please describe a time when you faced a significant obstacle to succeeding with an important project or activity. How did you approach the situation, and what were the results?
3. Can you provide an example of a time when you had to use data to make a recommendation or inform a decision? What was the outcome? (Feel free to share the final deliverable itself if you have one.)
4. Is there anything else you would like us to know about your skills and experience, as they relate to this position?
- Project/ Program Management
- Research/Data Analysis
Areas of impact
- Private Sector
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Social Entrepreneurship