Associate Consultants staff multiple client engagements simultaneously, and have the opportunity to work with a variety of TDC’s senior consultants. They work on project teams of two to three consultants in research, analysis, and client-facing capacities. Associate Consultants’ engagements span TDC’s portfolio of work with individual organizations, funders, and sector-wide research projects.
In their time at TDC, past Associate Consultants have found the following opportunities especially meaningful components of their experience:
• Exposure to a variety of nonprofit clients and their diverse challenges.
• Experience with a variety of skills, including financial modeling, data set management and analysis, and market research.
• Experience with a variety of analytical tools, including survey and statistical analysis software.
• Exposure to thought leaders throughout the nonprofit sector.
• Consistent and thoughtful guidance from senior consultants and firm leaders.
• Encouragement and expectation of professional growth and development.
• Increased responsibility with time and experience.
In their first year at TDC, Associate Consultants will:
• Take notes and prepare memorandums for client meetings.
• Review organizations’ financial documents, strategic plans, marketing materials, audience research, etc.
• Design and conduct surveys, interviews, and focus groups.
• Conduct market research using census data, client datasets, and other primary sources.
• Write and prepare client deliverables, including presentations and reports.
• Use analysis to shape scenarios and financial models that inform client decisions.
• Communicate with clients to collect materials, organize meetings, and distribute deliverables.
As Associate Consultants gain experience they often take on additional responsibility, including:
• Ownership of research protocols and results; communication of high-level findings to the project team.
• Increased client management.
• Increased project management.
• Heightened complexity of data analysis and financial modeling.
Candidates for the Associate Consultant position must have a bachelor’s degree and record of academic excellence, and should demonstrate interest in the nonprofit or social sector. Highly qualified candidates will have experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research, and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. One to two years of experience in the social or research sectors is preferred, but not required. Candidates should also meet most or all of the following criteria:
• A high degree of organization and attention to detail
• Ability to think strategically and possess a curiosity to think outside the box
• Intellectual curiosity
• Analytical capacity
• Comfort working in a fast paced environment
• Ability to prioritize among and balance multiple projects and deadlines
• High degree of self-motivation; ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Mastery of MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; proven capacity to learn new software systems
• Work experience in an office environment is desired
• Sense of humor (ability to not take yourself too seriously)
We expect Associate Consultants to commit to staying at TDC for at least two years, although their performance will be reviewed on an annual basis. In the past, top Associate Consultants have been promoted internally and/or left TDC to pursue graduate degrees or MBAs at schools; such as Harvard Business School, Yale School of Management and Tuck School of Business. Associate Consultants have also gone on to work in both consulting and management roles within and outside the nonprofit sector.
To be considered for the position, applicants should submit the following materials:
• A thoughtful cover letter that details their experience, qualifications and interest in TDC;
• A resume;
• A writing sample of three to five pages. Please note: in a writing sample we are looking for a persuasive or analytical essay that demonstrates your ability to use data in support of a thoughtful argument.
All correspondence should be sent to email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please. TDC is an equal opportunity employer.
- Research/Data Analysis
Areas of impact
- Social Sector