Associate at Y Analytics
Location: Washington, D.C.
Eligibility: 2+ years’ work experience, ideally in development finance, traditional finance or consulting. Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Close Date: November 25
Start Date: As soon as possible
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: In lieu of a cover letter, please prepare written responses to the questions below. Please send your responses along with you resume to Jobs@YAnalytics.org. Write in the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – Associate Application (NetImpact)”.
APPLICATION QUESTIONS – please limit responses to a single page total:
1. How would you go about conducting a market scan for an industry about which you have little prior knowledge?
2. What steps would you take to estimate the health benefits of drastically reducing the cost of a life-saving drug?
3. Imagine you are trying to quantify the potential impact of a microcredit company in a particular country. You have found 3 sources with 3 different estimates covering the same time period. What would you do?
ABOUT Y ANALYTICS
Y Analytics’ mission is to increase the amount and effectiveness of capital allocation for the greater good, as described in the UN Sustainable Development Goals, by increasing trust in the social and environmental impact achieved by that capital. Y Analytics enables greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision making and rigorous methodologies to value impact.
Y Analytics is an independent organization launched in parallel to the Rise Fund (https://therisefund.com/). The Rise Fund was founded in 2016 by TPG in partnership with Bono and Jeff Skoll, and invests in companies driving measurable social and environmental impact alongside business performance and strong returns. With $4 billion under management, The Rise Fund platform is committed to rigorous impact underwriting as well as financial performance. It bases this underwriting on evidentiary research and economic valuation. This research and methodology form the starting point for Y Analytics, which is in the process of growing the research and valuation engines, and expanding the types of investments valued and array of capital allocators served.
One of the core principles of Y Analytics is that transformational change occurs by working side-by-side with people on real decisions – Y Analytics is a working organization, not a think tank.
Reports To: Senior Director of Impact Solutions
Other Key Relationships: Chief Executive Officer, Chief Economist, Managing Director of Client & Product Development, clients and other stakeholders
The Associate will be responsible for driving Y Analytics’ impact assessment with a team of peers. His or her primary responsibilities will include:
• Working with capital allocators of all types to determine the impact efficiency of their investments and developing the tools required to enable better impact decision-making on investments. This work will entail partnering with investors on impact across the entire life cycle of deals – from initial fund strategy, to exit support. For example, associates will examine questions such as “What is the value of the net impact of a company that purchases milk from smallholder farmers in ways that ensure steadier streams of income, veterinary care for cows, etc.?” or “What is the net impact of delivering cataracts treatments in a drop form that does away with the need for surgery?”
• Working with Y Analytics leadership to expand the suite of impact assessment methodologies. This is core to Y Analytics’ strategy to direct capital where the greatest impact can be achieved. Y Analytics Associates might contribute to expanding the methodology to asset classes such as public equities, public debt, venture capital and catalytic capital.
• Taking the lead on elements of other special projects and/or functional roles. The Associate will be a core member of a quickly growing team and should bring an entrepreneurial mindset to his or her work, with the goal of advancing Y Analytics’ mission. He or she will help shape the culture and operations of the organization. Example functional roles held by Associates in the past include: client/sector leadership, communications strategy & execution, and knowledge/database management.
• 2+ years of work experience, ideally in development finance, traditional finance or consulting
• Experience creating/driving complex quantitative models and performing data analytics, with an aptitude to quickly get familiar and iterate on impact valuation models and research/company data
• Demonstrated ability to quickly identify key drivers and sensitivities in quantitative analyses, synthesize findings in presentations and written documents, and communicate these to senior leadership and clients
• Experience conducting, interrogating, interpreting, or applying third-party academic research is a plus
• International experience, including exposure to developing countries, is a plus
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
The ideal candidate:
• Is committed to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and our planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good.
• Has exceptional quantitative analytics capabilities.
• Is a highly creative problem solver, who enjoys structuring a problem, interrogating research, and rapidly translating learnings into meaningful outputs to inform live decisions.
• Has an entrepreneurial drive to help build new standards for an industry.
• Is fully capable of engaging with senior clients in professional settings.
• Has a strong sense of ownership for delivering high quality outputs to clients.
• Thrives in start-up/high energy team environments, where everyone can and should take initiative to build beyond what is called for in a narrow action plan.
Other personal characteristics:
• Positive and solutions-oriented attitude, with a drive for excellence
• A strong team player who is collaborative, and who listens to and values others’ opinions
• Commitment to fairness and ethical behavior; values and treats others with respect
• Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences; values diversity and its importance to an organization’s performance
• A sense of humility and humor
• Ability to travel infrequently if needed, both domestically and internationally
- Research/Data Analysis
Areas of impact
- Private Sector
- Impact Investing