Associate, California State Policy
Associate, State Policy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit: www.ceres.org.
Description & Responsibilities
The Associate, State Policy position supports Ceres’ policy work, with a focus on California state-level policy and engagement of business and investor voices in those states. This is a full-time position, based in San Francisco, CA and part of the Policy Network team. This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter looking to be an advocate for Ceres’ policy goals supporting climate, clean energy, clean transportation and resilient water for California. The position will report to the Senior Manager, State Policy, and support a second staff member, both working on climate and water policy in California.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Research and track state policymakers’ key points of interest and influence to identify opportunities to advance Ceres’ clean energy, resilient water, and climate policy activities in California.
- Track and research key developments related to California state policy priorities.
- Provide administrative, logistical, and writing support to the California policy team.
- Conduct private-sector research (identifying policy interests) and support relationship management of California partners and companies.
- Assist with recruitment of investors and businesses to engage in state-level policy advocacy opportunities.
- Support state policy coordination calls and respond to requests from partners and advocates.
- Draft sign-on letters, blogs, and tweets about state policy advocacy efforts.
- Provide logistical support for state policy related conference calls, webinars, and events with businesses and investors.
- Lead on tracking policy activity against deliverables (using Salesforce), including state engagement outreach, state influence, public climate and water statements from lawmakers through social media.
- Assist with planning, coordination and logistics related to Ceres’ Annual Conference.
- Support special projects of the Policy team, as necessary.
- Two to three years of work experience, preferably in government or nonprofit sectors, on policy issues.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and some project management abilities.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Good writing and editing skills. Business writing skills, a plus.
- Research skills a plus for this role.
- Knowledge of climate and water policy trends, sustainability trends and current California policy issues.
- Interest in water and/or climate policy issues in California.
- Experience working in advocacy settings with private sector entities preferred.
- Experience working with diverse constituent groups, a plus.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis.
- Willingness to travel in-state as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, social media and email applications.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Corporate Social Responsibility