Associate Development Manager
The Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL), headquartered in Oakland, CA, is a US-based nonprofit organization whose mission is to unite communities to save coral reefs. Working with people around the world—from fishermen to government leaders, divers to scientists, Californians to Fijians—CORAL protects our most valuable and threatened ecosystem. We lead holistic conservation programs that improve coral reef health and resilience and are replicated across the globe.
The Development team is responsible for fundraising from both individual and institutional donors to support our programs and operations. We have set an aggressive vision for growth and increased conservation action throughout this decade to address the serious threats affecting coral reef ecosystems and the human communities they support.
We are seeking a full-time Associate Development Manager to be based at our headquarters in Oakland, CA. The Associate Development Manager is responsible for helping to meet revenue goals in support of CORAL’s expanding programs and general operations through managing and growing a portfolio of individual funders. The Associate Development Manager will work in close partnership with the Development Director, Grants Manager and Development Operations Coordinator in our team’s efforts to execute our fundraising strategy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Cultivate and solicit a portfolio of current donors at the $1,000+ level through personalized stewardship plans
- Identify and cultivate new individuals to become $1,000+ level donors and develop personalized stewardship plans
- Plan and coordinate development trips and travel for senior staff including communication with donors and prospects
- Support various development initiatives including but not limited to written appeals, planned giving, donor house parties and an annual prize event
- Support activities and communications affiliated with CORAL’s International Council
- Work with marketing and communications staff to develop donor communications for direct mail and various online platforms
- Actively seek new sources of funding and maintain or grow existing sources of support through corporations and private foundations
- Effectively articulate CORAL’s mission, vision and conservation priorities to prospects through in-person, telephonic and written communications
- Effectively utilize the Salesforce database for relationship management by tracking open activities, cultivation notes, key deliverables and prospecting opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Three to four years of professional experience in development, client management, project management or relatable experience
- Superior people skills and excitement to connect with a wide range of donors
- Ability to communicate well internally, with staff from numerous departments, and to communicate well externally, with prospective and current donors
- Ability to proactively plan and be extremely organized in order to handle multiple priorities and tight deadlines
- Experience writing persuasive communications (direct mail experience is a plus)
- Commitment to process excellence, efficiency and accountability
- A sense of humor, commitment to candor and desire to be a part of a collaborative team
- Proficiency in constituent relationship management databases (Salesforce preferred)
- Commitment to and familiarity with environmental conservation, particularly around oceans
Full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Development Director. The position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and generous benefits package
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit in one document:
- A cover letter (with salary requirements)
Applications must be submitted to email@example.com; please include Associate Development Manager in the email subject line. Please note that due to the volume of applications expected, we are not able to respond to each individual applicant.
- Project/ Program Management
Areas of impact