Associate Director of Development MN, ND, SD
Become a force for nature and a healthy planet by joining the Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Chapter team.
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 70 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard.
The challenges facing our planet today require comprehensive solutions that address our current issues and lay the foundation to tackle future challenges. With a 60‐year history, an energized and passionate staff, and 23,000 committed members, the Minnesota-North Dakota-South Dakota Chapter of The Nature Conservancy is a hub of innovation.
We have protected over 690,000 acres of prairies, wetlands, forests and other natural areas across the three states. These lands and related projects help clean our waters, mitigate the effects of a changing climate, provide habitat for wildlife, boost nature-based tourism, and preserve our quality of life. We use a science-based approach and collaborate with academia, communities, policy-makers, businesses and other nonprofits to achieve success. We strive to make our donors proud and excited to be a part of forward-thinking efforts to protect the gifts nature has given us.
The MN-ND-SD Chapter seeks an Associate Director of Development (ADoD) to implement and coordinate effective multi‐year strategies and plans for prospective donors, including individuals, corporations and foundations. The ADoD will build and manage a portfolio of qualified donors, develop strong donor strategies, and build lasting donor relationships. They will effectively communicate the programs of the Conservancy and will engage donors through a variety of methods, such as meetings, presentations, events, and field trips. The ADoD will be responsible for soliciting major gifts to fund local, North American and global priorities; and will listen for opportunities for gifts of assets or other non‐cash gifts, such as planned gifts and real estate. They will use the Conservancy’s donor database, develop donor proposals, and involve appropriate partners and staff, keeping them apprised of interactions, issues, or concerns.
This position is based in Minneapolis, MN, reports to the Director of Philanthropy, and works closely with the Chapter’s leadership team and Board of Trustees to cultivate lasting relationships with Conservancy donors.
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a background and track record that includes:
• Bachelor’s degree and 5 years related experience or an equivalent combination.
• Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents/sales clients.
• Experience in asking for and closing gifts/sales of $25,000 or more.
• Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors or sales clients.
• Experience working with cross-functional teams.
• Experience, coursework, or other training in fundraising principles and practices, particularly major gifts, capital campaigns and planned giving.
• Cross cultural and multilingual skills appreciated.
• Ability to determine an individual’s interests, capacity and potential for helping the Conservancy meet its goals, and act appropriately to tie those interests with the Conservancy’s work.
• Ability to converse with prospective and existing donors about appropriate giving vehicles.
• Ability to implement and manage fundraising plans, including individualized cultivation, solicitation and recognition plans.
• Knowledge of current trends in the charitable giving in the areas of capital campaigns, major gifts or planned giving.
• Demonstrated experience using listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate donors and volunteers.
• Proven ability to negotiate high profile or sensitive agreements.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, please visit www.nature.org/careers and search for job ID# 47998 in the keyword search. Deadline to apply is 11:59 PM EST October 11, 2019.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please visit our career center for a full list of all our open positions globally. New opportunities are posted daily!
- Project/ Program Management
Areas of impact