Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit: www.ceres.org.
Description & Responsibilities
The Associate is a key member of the Finance team in its efforts to support the organization’s program activities. This is an opportunity for a trustworthy and energetic individual eager to be in the middle of the financial workings of Ceres and grow professionally. While the day-to-day work includes a significant amount of information gathering and data entry, there will be ample opportunity to help shape and implement financial policies and procedures, including those pertaining to contracting and sub-granting. The Associate reports to the Finance Manager. This position is full-time and based in our Boston, MA office.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as a resource to Ceres staff, contractors, and sub-grantees to distribute and explain materials related to finance policies and procedures. Provide financial orientation to new staff.
- Serve as a resource to Ceres staff for Abacus Expense Management and Abacus Travel; responsible for making administrative changes and updates in Abacus related to staffing changes and finance policies. Perform any necessary follow up for missing or incomplete information.
- Accounts Payable: Collect and review submitted expense request forms and invoices from staff for contractors and sub-grantees. Check financial coding, enter into Intacct accounting system and enter applicable journal entries; to be reviewed by Finance Manager. Perform any necessary follow up for missing or incomplete information; obtain signatures for checks and mail; file all forms and invoices.
- Review staff credit card expenses and staff reimbursement requests in Abacus Expense Management. Check financial coding, ensure finance policies have been met, and approve for integration into Intacct accounting system.
- Maintain a log of all outstanding consultant contracts and compare submitted invoices to such contracts. Collect and review all contracts for accuracy and completeness; obtain appropriate signatures; assign contract numbers; scan and e-file on the Ceres’ server.
- Maintain current finance documents on the Ceres’ server and organizational database; maintain all finance Google docs; maintain and update subscriptions excel workbook.
- Create weekly finance team meeting agenda; adding items for review and updating for completion of tasks.
- Schedule monthly budget to actual meetings with budget managers and finance team; download reports from Intacct; edit and format reports and upload to the Ceres’ server and organizational database prior to meetings.
- Assist in creating spreadsheets for annual budget process.
- Schedule grant projection meetings and Finance Committee meetings and take notes in these meetings.
- Collect, scan and file purchase orders.
- Assist the Controller in gathering information and preparing schedules for the annual audit.
- Update weekly Monday morning staff memo for finance priorities and any finance deadlines.
- Perform administrative duties such as filing, photocopying, managing calendars, mailing correspondence, and organizing and shipping materials or reports.
- Support staffing and logistical needs for Ceres events such as the Conference or Summit.
- Engage in special projects as time permits.
- At least 2 -3 years of work experience, required
- Office experience required, preferably with some accounting or bookkeeping
- Working knowledge of accounting, business or related discipline
- Proficiency with Intacct a plus
- Accounts Payable experience a plus
- Abacus Expense or other expense management systems experience a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (strong Excel user) and Google Docs
- Experience with Salesforce, a plus
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to evaluate workload and prioritize projects
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Discretion in working with confidential information
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines
- Interest and willingness to be trained on data systems and tools for necessary work.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability