Business Operations Summer Associate
African Leadership Group (AL Group) is an ecosystem of institutions which share a common vision: transforming Africa by developing and connecting a new generation of ethical and entrepreneurial leaders. These institutions are driven by a bold and ambitious mission to transform Africa by improving the state of its current and future leadership through innovative peer-to-peer learning models, project-based learning, and student financing models. Our ultimate objective is to develop 3 million game-changing leaders for Africa and the world by 2035. To this end, we are building campuses across the continent to deliver this new model of higher education.
We have been recognized by CNN as “the Harvard of Africa,” The New York Times as 1 of 8 places in the world where history is being made, and one of the most innovative companies in Africa by Fast Company.
About the US Team
The US-based Strategic Initiatives team is currently comprised of four full-time employees in the San Francisco office, who are responsible for a wide portfolio of projects including: development and external affairs, growth strategy, financial modeling, and investor/donor relations. This team supports over three hundred additional employees working in Eastern and Southern Africa.
About the Role
ALG’s US Office is looking for a part-time Business Operations Summer Associate to help build, scale, and manage our back-end systems and processes. This role will be fundamentally project management-oriented, but focused specifically on how to drive towards our annual fundraising target. You will be responsible for:
- Supporting efforts to build an operational framework for our finance, human resources, and marketing efforts
- Surfacing key insights and learnings that can help elevate the overall organization by working cross-functionally
- Identifying unmet or underserved needs of the organization while continuously minimizing complexities and optimizing systems and processes
- Assisting the Strategic Initiatives Director of Operations with project timelines/scheduling, expenses, and deliverables
- Supporting various fundraising, education, and office-specific events
- Supporting the remainder of the Strategic Initiatives team as needed, including but not limited to; scheduling travel and creating expense reports, engaging in ad-hoc research, collecting data, and drafting analyses.
You’re going to enjoy this role if you:
- Are passionate about rapid growth and scaling innovations in Africa, and are excited to be at the forefront of one of the fastest-growing social enterprises in the world.
- Believe relationships matter, can be open, constructive and work well with a diverse team of passionate changemakers.
- Have demonstrated experience with project management processes and tools
- Are an independent self-starter who takes intelligent risks and has an ability to rapidly adapt to changing circumstances in order to get things done.
- Are detail-oriented, and have highly-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Are highly analytical and are motivated to solve tough business problems
- Are able to work in a fast-paced, high performance startup environment
- Are inquisitive and driven: not accepting of the status quo, but instead asks questions such as “Why are things like this?” and “How can I do this better?”
- Respond effectively and appropriately to constructive feedback
- Are optimistic, have a good sense of humor and can roll with the punches
Candidates that are recent graduates or are pursuing a bachelors or masters degree in business management, finance, accounting, economics, communications, math or other relevant fields are encouraged to apply.
Preferred candidates will have demonstrated experience working in finance, social entrepreneurship, and/or management consulting.
Compensation for the summer internship program is given as a competitive monthly living stipend. You will be expected to work a minimum of 25-30 hours per week for 10 weeks or more.
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) the San Francisco area only.
June 3, 2018
To apply, please submit your resume and 1-2 paragraphs on why you might be a good fit for this role to Tom at email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.
We highly value an international culture at AL Group and encourage international applicants to apply. However, AL Group does not provide financial reimbursement or sponsorship for international visas for this role. If you are are an international applicant, we highly encourage you to obtain a visa prior to applying.
- General Management
- Product Design/ Management
- Project/ Program Management
Areas of impact
- Social Entrepreneurship