Communications & Outreach Manager
Voice of Witness (VOW) is an award-winning, San Francisco-based nonprofit that advances human rights by amplifying unheard voices. Through our oral history book series and education program, we center the voices of people impacted by injustice, teach our ethics-driven oral history methodology, and partner with human rights advocates to:
• build agency within marginalized communities,
• foster thoughtful, empathy-based critical inquiry and understanding of the issues faced by marginalized peoples, and
• inform efforts to protect and advance human rights.
The VOW oral history book series amplifies the voices of people impacted by the criminal justice system, migration, and displacement. Our education program serves over 20,000 people annually, and we provide oral history training to other nonprofits as well as to educators, advocates, writers, and journalists.
Now in our 10th year as a nonprofit, VOW has seen significant programming and fundraising growth—this is a result of our new strategic vision plan that places deeper emphasis on centering marginalized voices at every level of our work. VOW has been recognized with a Human Rights Educator Award and a Smithsonian American Ingenuity Award for Social Progress.
This is a great opportunity for a proactive, strategic, and proven communications professional to join our dynamic organization at this exciting stage of our work.
Voice of Witness was cofounded by authors Dave Eggers and Mimi Lok, and physician Lola Vollen. For more information, visit www.voiceofwitness.org.
Full Time, 40 hours, non-exempt, salaried position
Benefits: Health, vision, and dental insurance, 16 vacation days, 12 public holidays
Location: San Francisco
Start Date: October 1st, 2019
We are seeking a communications professional to help our dynamic, award-winning organization enhance both our grassroots and broad base audience reach and engagement, and support our fundraising efforts. We’re looking for candidates with a passion for storytelling and social change, who have their pulse on social justice and political issues, and who come with solid experience in nonprofit communications, outreach, and brand building. If you believe strongly in our mission and would like to help us grow as an organization, please consider joining our small yet mighty team.
Brand Communications (30%)
• Develop and implement strategies to improve organizational brand visibility and awareness & audience engagement, with particular emphasis on building online awareness.
• Maintain editorial governance to ensure all messaging, branding, and the public profile of VOW is consistent and directly supports our mission and goals.
• Build opportunities for thought leadership through earned media and speaking engagements in relevant social justice, nonprofit, literary, and education spaces.
Content Marketing (30%)
• Develop and manage annual editorial calendar that engages different audiences across multi-channels, including blog posts, social media, email marketing, web, infographics, monthly newsletter, audio, video, and collateral.
• Manage and create engaging content for website, blog, and social media. Create all graphics and visual materials, and ensure new posts and pages are search engine optimized.
• Update website and Wordpress as needed, coordinating with web host and/or freelance developer for higher level technical issues.
Events & PR (25%)
• Lead and implement VOW publicity strategy for book releases:
• Plan launch events and speaking engagements for editors and narrators, in collaboration with our publisher.
• Support book publicity and press outreach efforts and liaise with publisher/publicists, editors, and media. Includes pitching to media outlets.
• Provide editors and narrators with media and speaker training as needed.
• Support donor relationship manager and executive director by executing communications for donor engagement and stewardship, including annual reports, digital fundraising campaigns, community happy hours, and other donor events.
• Support grants management and grant writing as needed.
• Engage in mentoring and professional development opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
• Minimum 4 years' relevant work experience, especially with creating and successfully implementing organization-wide communications strategies.
• Highly creative with an editorial, entrepreneurial mindset who seeks to understand what and how audiences consume, and how to create it.
• Experience with digital marketing and an ability to use analytic strategies to measure and improve SEO success; ability to analyze and present content and social performance and fine-tune according to the analytics.
• Tech competent: experienced with Neon or other CRM software, WordPress, MailChimp, and social media tools.
• Excellent written skills.
• Strong work ethic, excellent time-management, and organizational skills, detail-orientated and requiring minimal direction.
• Prior experience working within social justice/human rights, education, and/or literary organizations.
• Polite yet persistent, resourceful, and a sense of humor. Comfortable working in a creative, collaborative, and collegial environment.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Knowledge in graphic design and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
• Familiarity with Chicago and AP styles.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants may apply by emailing the following by September 1st 2019, 5pm PST:
• a one-page cover letter
• a brief resume to email@example.com
• 3-5 work samples. Must include example of a communications strategic plan + any combination of the following: media pitch, press release, blog post, op-ed, grant application, messaging document
• 3 references will be requested
Please write “Communications & Outreach Manager – (YOUR LAST NAME)” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or follow up emails. Only candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the job will be contacted.
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
- Communications / Marketing