Community Spaces Specialist
Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Community Spaces Specialist is a member of the Real Estate Team at Tides. This role builds and executes on Tides’ expertise around the development and management of shared space and the future of nonprofit workspace through managing the operations and programs at community spaces throughout the Bay Area. This includes the full coordination of events, programming, and coworking as well as the management and support of users of each space, all in close collaboration with Tides, Tides’ clients, and onsite teams/vendors. This position is also key in supporting the scaling and adapting of the community space model, including operations, technology, and staffing, for other Tides’ partners.
This position is responsible for working closely with Tides’ client-facing service teams and Tides’ clients to provide exceptional and proactive administrative support to deliver an unsurpassed client experience.
This is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete assignments and tasks on schedule. This position is split primarily between our San Francisco office located in the Presidio and a client workspace in Redwood City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Core & Ongoing Space Management
● Manage email inquiries with users of the community spaces and ensure a high level of responsiveness.
● Maintain event, membership and support queues for the community spaces
● Facilitate regular meetings with onsite teams to manage safety, liability, and user experience
● Provide regular “office hours” for and/or orientations/tours to new users
● Escalate issues to Tides and client’s teams when necessary
● Monitor and support the processing of user membership applications as needed
● Monitor partners’ spaces on a regular basis to stay abreast with specific user needs, evolving requirements and priorities of users/clients; build relationships with external partners and members of the community spaces for continued service improvements
● Pilot new software/processes and communicate new process changes appropriately to users and stakeholders
● Meet with clients and Tides’ team regularly about the progress of the community spaces
● Other tasks as needed to ensure smooth daily operations
Relationship Management and Program Scaling General
● Cultivate opportunities for consulting services for clients seeking to create a community space as part of a philanthropic strategy
● Work with Tides’ Real Estate Team and team to identify trends, efficiencies, and innovations in collaborative space and adapt/scale operations for new community spaces and new team members, when possible/as needed
● Work alongside Real Estate, Corporate Philanthropy, and other relevant teams on partner relationship cultivation/management, process improvements, and other tasks/projects that support community space, real estate management more broadly, or corporate engagement more broadly.
General Tides Support
● Participate in task forces and working groups, as appropriate/as assigned.
● Assist the SF team with daily activities such as mail/bank runs, front desk coverage, cleaning/room flips, and special projects as needed.
● Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
● Strong aptitude to see and manage varied projects and effectively coordinate across projects to ensure synergies are leveraged and projects are not dropped.
● Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
● Comfort and familiarity with technology with a user-experience mindset
● Attention to detail and a dedication to accuracy
● Advanced Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Salesforce and internet skills essential
● Customer-service orientation, an expert in client relationship management and empathic to client needs and goals
● Resourceful, proactive, reliable, trustworthy, and assertive when necessary
● Intensely curious about the future of workspaces and the role of flexible/agile workplaces
● Four-year college degree or demonstrated project or mid-level administrative support experience
● Experience in managing events & programming logistics from initial inception through final execution
● Experience in creating guidelines, playbooks and standards
● Strong interest in new developments and current best practices in process improvement/organizational development is a must
● Ability to interpret impact survey and utilization study results, creation actionable recommendations for clients.
● Prioritize numerous tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment working with several departments simultaneously
● Extremely organized and highly adaptable, dependability, accountability, self-awareness, empathy
● High level of professionalism and confidentiality
● Ability to manage multiple projects and follow-through in a timely manner
Community Focus: Is passionate about delivering world-class customer support, seeks to understand stakeholders’ needs through feedback, balancing the needs of customers, employees, and Tides in business decision-making. Has (or can quickly obtain) an understanding of the priorities, external trends, and internal team dynamics that drive decision-making.
Communication: Can understand and communicate information in a variety of formats, including via quantitative, verbal, and visual means, and can seamlessly translate between them as necessary.
Cultivating relationships: Can establish strong relationships across levels, teams, and departments and has the ability to work cross-functionally to deliver results.
Dealing with ambiguity: Accepts challenges with imperfect information. Works to always get more clarity and is an open and transparent communicator about what is known and not known.
Business acumen - Ability to understand and translate financial, business, and operational concepts and ideas into actionable requirements for operations-focused teams and can lead operations-related discussions for business teams.
Strategic thinking – A creative thinker who easily consumes a large amount of information, considers the merits of numerous alternatives, frames known and unknown risks, and can predict changes several steps in advance.
Negotiations - Skilled at influencing others to achieve mutually-beneficial outcomes that align the interests of all parties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Must be able to clearly communicate with others to understand them and to be understood.
● Must be able to read and compose documents so that their intent is easily understood.
● Must be able to lift at least ten pounds from the floor to four (4) feet above the floor.
● Must be able to effectively use a computer and telephone to conduct business.
● Must be able to maneuver between two (2) floors and within small office spaces.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
- Facilities Management
Areas of impact
- Private Sector
- Social Sector