Deputy Directors, Philanthropy and Social Ventures
The Deputy Director interacts directly with clients to provide strategic and management services to drive high impact, effective services and to scale promising partners that build lasting social impact. The Deputy Director manages Client Service team members to build/maintain superior relationships and ensure the highest level of services delivery with a diverse set of clients that includes high net worth donors, corporations, community-based non-profits, social ventures, public and private foundations and government agencies. The Deputy Director will manage internal operations and identify best practices with an eye toward future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for Tides services.
The Deputy Director operates in a matrix management structure to support Tides clients. Success depends on building strong, trustworthy cross-functional relationships with staff from other departments including Grants Management, Finance, HR, IT, Legal and Compliance and strong interpersonal skills with clients.
Deputy Director, Philanthropic Services will be the primary operational leader for Tides ongoing partnership with existing and new grantmaking partners, focusing on individual and family donors, corporate social impact units and institutional foundations. This role will support services for donors and grantmakers including donor advised funds, collaborative giving and fundraising vehicles, strategic consulting and impact investments. Additionally, this Deputy Director will ensure that the Philanthropic Services team and processes are responsive to the needs of our partners and assist them in scaling their impact. This position reports to the Director, Philanthropy.
Deputy Director, Social Ventures will be the primary operational leader for Tides ongoing partnerships with existing and new social venture partners, focusing on team effectiveness, process enhancement and responsiveness to the needs of Tides social venture partners. The Deputy Director will support Tides Social Venture program by providing strategic and operational solutions to a wide range of fiscally sponsored social change leaders and their organizations and assist them in scaling their impact. This position reports to the Director, Social Ventures.
● Lead and accelerate the day-to-day running of Client Services operations including co-managing the annual budget process and supervising client service staff deliverables and development.
● Manage ongoing process improvement efforts, advise on adjustments to policies and guide through process changes, as well as oversee the documentation and maintenance of client and staff tools and resources such as the Project Handbook and Advisor Guide.
● Represent Client Services with relevant departments to introduce and/or review suggested policy changes that impact current client service delivery promises and client services workflow and process.
● Lead/manage the implementation of recommended ops related improvements in coordination with BPR.
● Own responsibility for specific current Strategic Path deliverables on behalf of Client Services team, as determined
● Work with the Evaluation Manager to produce quarterly reports on key client metrics and performance indicators. Coordinate the dissemination of client data to Directors, Segment Leads, and Advisors in relevant staff meetings.
● Support the planning and execution of annual staff retreats, in-service training and uplift professional development opportunities and professional growth of a team that inspires continual learning of staff.
● Work with Strategic Partnership Team to align pipeline with newly developed portfolio management process.
● Manage overall client satisfaction and escalations across service area
● Ensure team can assess risk factors on partner activities with the overall objective of risk reduction and support in the resolution of complex escalations
● Work closely with leads from Finance, Human Resources, Grants, Innovation/Learning, and Legal, Risk and Compliance to ensure efficiency across departments towards excellence in client service delivery and client outcomes.
● Partner with Directors to evolve Tides services from predominantly core management to include consultative and collaborative solutions
● Work with Directors for ongoing portfolio assessment and management
● Maintain a portfolio of high-impact, complex clients and determine Advisor portfolio assignments, including oversight of new partner onboarding process, partner offboarding, transfers and reassignments as needed.
● Lead client annual review process and assure implementation of recommendations as needed
● Work with relevant staff and departments to create and document client onboard process and training protocols as needed for new processes or compliance changes.
● Oversee client communications calendar
Network, Business and Field Leadership
● Identify and proactively pursue business development opportunities with existing Tides clients based on deep understanding of their needs and objectives.
● Demonstrate commitment to cross boundaries inside and outside the organization as needed to drive acceleration and improve relationships between people and groups
● Staying current on the market trends, unmet client needs and competitor offerings, proactively making suggestions regarding new products and services to leadership.
● Build and maintain relationships externally with other philanthropic and programmatic partners and communities to help identify potential clients and help develop new or enhanced offerings for clients. Such offerings build client capacity, inspire philanthropists and contribute to global social change/justice.
● Manage staff attendance at key industry events and conferences
● Work with Communications team on collateral material, blogs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Strong personal alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and or organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability and creativity.
● Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills with a strong ability to facilitate collaborative problem-solving to reach solutions that benefit all parties
● Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective client service with a demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients for a high level of satisfaction
● Strong analytical skills, including the ability to work with and manipulate data from multiple sources, assimilate and present information in a clear and concise manner
● Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide range of diverse colleagues
● Strong verbal and written communication skills with a proven ability to develop proposals, make presentations, and communicate directly with clients
● Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment and to engage in a direct and truthful manner
● Strong motivation and an ability to simultaneously manage multiple assignments
● Demonstrated experience working effectively with individual and institutional donors, ideally in a donor advised setting and deep understanding of issues around philanthropic giving and the social change sector
● Nonprofit operations management experience, including finance, compliance, human resources, and administration
● B.S. or higher degree, or equivalent experience directing complex client operations, transforming and aligning clients around acceleration and impact, and the use of systems and metrics to measure outcomes
● 10+ years of experience in a similar position in nonprofit, philanthropy or working in development with donors
● Demonstrated experience leading a team and supporting the professional development of team members
● Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and ability to engage in strategic and analytical thinking around issues of social justice
● Ability to manage, track, and understand advanced financial management concepts
● Proficiency with MS Office, Salesforce, NetSuite
After reviewing the two opportunities above, please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online addressing the position that best aligns with your background and experience. Your cover letter should clearly identify the role you are applying for, interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applications with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
Areas of impact
- Social Sector