Digital Arts and Sculpture Technician
Job Summary: Haverford College seeks to hire a fixed term (2 years), non-exempt (37.5 hours per week), benefit eligible Digital Arts and Sculpture Technician. The technician must have an expert knowledge of digital technologies across sculpture and printmaking. The position will work in sculpture and printmaking, providing curricula and studio support. They should also have some background in wood and metal shops providing instruction to students on machines and equipment. This person will maintain all equipment in both facilities, support curricular activities, organize spaces, and coordinate with faculty, students, and IT groups. The technician will make safety a top priority and implement and maintain standardized safety practices and procedures for all classes. The position requires knowledge of technologies including CNC plasma cutting, Laser cutting and CNC machining as well as an understanding of 2D and 3D software’s (Illustrator, Photoshop, Cinema 4D, Fusion 360, Z-Brush, Blender, SketchUp Pro, Processing). The job also requires a skillset of a range of fabricating techniques including metal work, woodwork and casting. The person hired will also need to be comfortable trouble shooting technology issues both with software and hardware.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
• Curricular Support across Digital Art, Printmaking, Sculpture.
• Coordination of labs and studio.
• Supervision of lab and studio time shared across Locker and the Foundry. Provide expertise to faculty, staff and students regarding various software systems and equipment.
• Manage equipment. Consult with various stakeholders (IITS, VCAM, Sculpture, and Printmaking) on equipment purchases and maintenance.
• Ensure safety protocols and procedures are followed.
Line of Report: Position will report directly to the Department Chair of Fine Arts with a dotted line of reporting to the Director of the Visual Culture Arts and Media Program. Technician will supervise work study students. Position will also coordinate with Maker Arts Technician (VCAM) and IITS staffing but not in a reporting capacity.
Education, Training, & Experience:
Bachelors required, masters preferred. 3-5 years experience.
The position requires knowledge of technologies including CNC plasma cutting, Laser cutting and CNC machining as well as an understanding of 2D and 3D software’s (Illustrator, Photoshop, Cinema 4D, Fusion 360, Z-Brush, Blender, SketchUp Pro, Processing). The job also requires a skillset of a range of fabricating techniques including metal work, woodwork and casting. The person hired will also need to be comfortable trouble shooting technology issues both with software and hardware.
• Current Drivers’ License and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record check
• Programming requirements may necessitate evening and weekend hours
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
• Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
o Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds): 6-8 hours
o Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): 3-6 hours
o Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): 3-6 hours
o Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Up to three hours
• Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: 6-8 hours
• Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): 6-8 hours
• Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): 6-8 hours
• Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): 6-8 hours
• Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 6-8 hours
• Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 6-8 hours
• Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
• Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): 3-6 hours Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
• Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
• Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
• Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
• Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): 6-8 hours
To Apply: Interested applicants should complete an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Digital-Arts-and-Sculpture-Technician_R222. The application deadline is Friday, September 27, 2019. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.
- Facilities Management
- IT/Software Engineering
- Product Design/ Management
- Project/ Program Management