Digital Fundraising Manager (Part-Time)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 185 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 450,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
First Book is seeking an innovative individual to join its Development team which raises funds from individuals and Foundations to support its larger mission of providing books and resources to children in need across the country. The person in this position will be responsible for implementing First Book’s integrated online fundraising strategy and managing the First Book digital user experience across platforms including email messaging, donation forms, team based crowdfunding campaigns, social media advertising, website experience, and beyond. This position is a hybrid of a digital fundraising techniques and skills (~75%) and a content developer (~25%) role.
The Digital Fundraising Manager will report to the Vice President of Development and collaborate closely with both the Development and Marketing and Communications teams, as well as vendors and consultants to execute strategies that drive fundraising revenue and engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Meet shared short-term and long-term goals revenue and engagement goals from new and existing membership sources by developing “best practices” for digital fundraising across multiple platforms.
• Design and implement outbound email appeals from start to finish to solicit funds and otherwise engage donors and prospects. Draft copy, design graphics, prepare layout, collect feedback, prepare versions per segment, and send emails. Segment based on numerous criteria including giving history and stage of donor life-cycle.
• Establish and maintain a digital campaign calendar to plan and implement all aspects of the digital program, from preparation to launch and reporting.
• Develop and implement testing program to determine optimal strategy on a variety of elements including content, format, call to action, graphics, segment, etc.
• Works closely with Vice President of Development to set performance benchmarks and targets across all digital fundraising channels. Implements user testing techniques to improve response rates and increase donor retention. Evaluates and reports on monthly project accomplishments and budgets.
• Manage development of monthly donor newsletter and other impact communications.
• Analyze data from multiple sources including Google Analytics, Salesforce and Pardot to determine optimal digital communications strategy for each donor segment.
• Monitor metrics to highlight trends that could inform strategies and regularly prepare reports to evaluate and inform the ongoing improvement of fundraising ROI.
• Manage content of new and evergreen assets including donation forms, crowdfunding campaigns, welcome series, and other elements of the digital user experience.
• Adhere to best practices for integrations among fundraising tools, platforms, and tactics within and among Salesforce, Pardot, and Classy primarily. Stay abreast of the latest digital trends and innovations to increase giving and activation.
• Assist with the development of an emerging new acquisition program focused on email acquisition and fundraising conversion in multiple platforms.
• Coordinate within and beyond the department to ensure alignment of priorities.
• Collaborate with Development team members to streamline integration of fundraising/communications systems with the database and maintain data integrity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5+ years of experience in digital communications, social media and/or direct marketing, preferably in the fundraising arena
• Strong knowledge of current and developing online fundraising strategies, social media, mobile and new technologies
• Must understand “best practices” across multiple platforms and the knowledge base to develop “best practices” for emerging media types
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Knowledge of customer relationship management systems (CRM), email service providers, internet applications, and content publishing tools
• Familiarity with a variety of resources to keep up-to-date on the latest news in digital fundraising, marketing, sales, and design
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
• Ability to meet deadlines and goals while working under pressure
• Project management experience in digital media required. Acute attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and within a team
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
• Experience using Salesforce, Classy, and Pardot or comparable digital fundraising platforms
• Ability to code HTML with and without an HTML editor
• Experience with Google Analytics
• Experience with image editing using Photoshop
• Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite of products
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to Ashley Jones at email@example.com.
- Communications / Marketing
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Social Entrepreneurship