Director, Corporate Partnerships
About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 185 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 450,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: Do you have a private sector head and a public-sector heart? First Book seeks a creative, entrepreneurial individual to develop and manage domestic corporate partnerships for a fast-growing organization providing access to critical educational resources for kids in need. The Director of Corporate partnerships will focus on relationship building, program oversight and execution, donor management, and communications that support our growth with First Book’s existing corporate partnerships. This is a fast-paced, cutting edge, and business-oriented organization with an energetic atmosphere.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee a portfolio of partnerships with leading multi-national corporations and philanthropic foundations, aligned with First Book’s strategy.
• Lead national cause marketing campaigns and partnerships that directly benefit local communities in need.
• Engage with existing partners and funders to strengthen current relationships, forge new relationships within the company, and maximize project impact.
• Collaborate with the Senior Director and VP of Strategic Alliances on the ongoing development of the department including overall vision, operational processes and project management standards, staffing, professional development, performance management, etc.
• Manage a passionate team of project coordinators, ensuring high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with donors and partners in the field.
• Lead collaborations of internal teams of representatives from Marketing Communications, Network Engagement, E-Commerce, Operations, IT, and Finance to create and implement value-added, integrated programs that advance institutional goals.
• Support new business strategies and pitches to secure additional unrestricted funds to further First Book’s mission with existing and new partners.
• Work with other department leaders to develop monitoring and results frameworks for key performance indicators (KPIs). Ensure consistency in the variety of KPIs across projects, to be in alignment with overall project portfolio goals.
• Respond to and undertake special projects as requested by the Senior Director, Strategic Alliances and senior leadership of First Book.
• Represent the organization to external partners and funders. This includes both formal and informal presentations, attending conferences and other meetings as necessary.
• Meet annual financial goals as determined by the First Book Executive Team and Senior Director of Strategic Alliances.
Qualifications /Education and Experience:
• Advanced degree in business or a related degree and 8-10 years of relevant experience; past work experience in a leading marketing agency or consulting firm preferred.
• Experience developing, managing and implementing corporate or foundation-funded projects, including partnering with key stakeholders on the definition of objectives and deliverables and monitoring and evaluation of results.
• Demonstrated success in roles requiring a combination of strong analytical, writing and management skills.
• Strong track-record of new business development and growth of existing accounts.
• Experience working with senior leadership in the nonprofit, private and public sectors in the United States and globally, particularly developing countries.
• Strong relationship management skills for dealing with a range of partners and industries.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the internal staff and external clients.
• Experience working in a matrixed reporting structure environment.
• Excellent writing and presentation skills.
• Strong proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook; prior use of Salesforce or comparable donor management/CRM system preferred.
• Travel is required as necessary, up to 40% during peak periods of partner activation.
Those who thrive at First Book tend to possess these qualities:
• An entrepreneurial spirit, this is core to First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter.
• A passion for First Book’s mission and vision for the future.
• Strong employee and team management skills. Must work well with cross-functional teams and be able to multi-task with ease.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
• A sense of humor. This one is required.
See what First Book has been up to!:
TO APPLY: Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter to http://firstbook.force.com/careers. If you need assistance please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935.
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
- Communications / Marketing
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Social Sector