**Please note, applications are currently closed**
Founded in 2016, WIN: Women in Innovation is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded to close the gender gap in innovation. WIN provides action-oriented programming, tools and resources, and a high-impact community designed for women, and those who identify as women, employed in innovation jobs in professional services firms, Fortune 500 corporations and across the startup ecosystem.
Inspired by an insight that women are incredible innovators, WIN is focused on amplifying the role of women in designing a better future for everyone. Women are currently underrepresented in innovation business leadership and thought leadership across the entire professional journey. Only 25% of top innovation firms are led by women. Only 16% of top innovation books on Amazon are written by women. The upward professional trajectory of women in innovation jobs is negatively impacted by a lack of formalized training in innovation, absence of vetted and centralized resources, and limited access to sponsorship and mentorship opportunities. The innovation industry is driven by fierce competition, creating systemic industry challenges and barriers for women to collaborate, offer support, and learn from one another. These dynamics prevent women in innovation from reaching the highest levels of professional influence and authority in the field of innovation.
WIN pioneered a unique and effective solution to the problem through its robust and holistic offerings. WIN Monthly Programming is delivered by leading innovation experts from Fortune 500, startups, and innovation and design firms to provide training on skills necessary to excel in innovation. WIN Salon Series, the quarterly invite-only gatherings of women in C-suite and executive innovation positions, is geared towards formulating constructive solutions to industry challenges. WIN Mentorship, a curated peer-to-peer mentorship program, enables opportunities to nurture powerful, non-competitive, and supportive relationships amongst women at similar phases in their professional journey.
As a fully volunteer-led and decentralized international organization, WIN has achieved unprecedented traction and impact in its current markets, New York, London and San Francisco. In its next phase of growth, WIN is looking to hire a full-time Executive Director (“ED”) to accelerate and deepen the impact of the organization across the globe. To learn more about WIN, visit our website.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
WIN is seeking a passionate, results-oriented, self-starter and leader, who will make the organization’s mission a reality. Reporting to the WIN Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall operational responsibility for the WIN organization. With 4,000+ Members, 40+ Volunteer Staff, 60+ Ambassadors, multiple Corporate and Academic Partners, 9 Board of Directors Members, 12 Advisory Council Members, 3 Emeritus Council Members, the ED must be adept at relationship management, senior staff management, and diverse stakeholder engagement. The ED must also be a visionary, mission-driven leader with the ability to directly manage and collaborate with the Global team (5+ volunteers) and 3 Chapter Leads across New York, San Francisco, and London markets.
This is a full-time position with expected all-in compensation range of $75K-$100K commensurate with professional experience and track record. The position can be remote but the preference is for NYC-based candidates.
The ED is expected to achieve the following key outcomes in the next 9-12 months of employment.
Create and execute a strategic plan for 2021-2023
- Deliver a robust, compelling 3-year strategic plan to the Board of Directors at the Q4 2020 Board meeting, including the growth plan, business model, development / revenue strategy, and key offerings
- Develop the strategic plan through a rigorous and collaborative process with key stakeholders, including the Board of Directors
- Deliver a recommendation on product / program solution mix
Metrics: Quality and feasibility of the strategic plan, collaborative quality of the process management, qualitative and quantitative impact measures on the mission and goals of WIN
Reach fundraising goals ($250k in 2020, $500k in 2021)
- Create a diversified portfolio of funding: corporate sponsorships, grants, high net-worth donors, etc.
- Create a sustainable pipeline of funding to grow the full-time paid team and scale WIN programs
- Identify innovative ways to grow the business, platforms, and partnerships
- Execute the fundraising strategy by conducting outreach, identifying leads, and securing funding
Metrics: Depth and breadth of development funnel, cash on hand by end of 2020, cashflow stability in the next 12-24 months
Expand reach of the WIN brand
- Amplify the WIN brand by becoming the “face” of WIN and driving effective marketing, PR, and communication efforts
- Bring WIN to broader audiences by entering new markets or broadening into new audience segments
Metrics: # of pieces featuring WIN in media, growth of community (# of new members), international/new chapter growth (if relevant), diversity of WIN community
Manage Team WIN
- Manage the Global Team and Chapter Leads. Ensure efficient and seamless processes, execution, and delivery across existing operations
- Ensure sound organizational operations across all functional areas, including marketing, partnerships, operations, programming, community, and finance
Metrics: feedback from Team WIN
- Experience: Minimum of 6 years of professional experience
- Executive leadership: Proven track record as a leader in a non-profit organization or in a startup with experience in strategic vision development, fundraising, growth / expansion, marketing / branding, fiscal management, and team leadership
- Strategic leadership: Ability to craft and communicate the WIN strategy internally and externally to volunteers, members, partners, donors, and other audiences, visibly demonstrating leadership and representing the organization in different forums
- Broad personal and professional network: Prior experience building strong and lasting relationships across diverse networks that span industries and geographies
- Fundraising: Proven track record in fundraising in non or for-profit sectors
- Team management: Proven experience building and managing high-performing teams, preferably in a decentralized and / or volunteer-led setting
- Subject matter interest: Prior experience or demonstrated passion / interest in innovation
- Values: Strong alignment with organizational values and the subject matter of the organization’s work - bias for collaboration and solution-based thinking; demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; role model for fostering inclusive and respectful environments
- Self-starter, driven personality with superior abilities to craft a compelling strategic vision while also executing the practical plans and processes to enable impact
- Innate bias for action, growth mindset, openness, positive outlook, generosity
- Strong communication skills, executive presence, authentic leadership, unique charisma
- Genuine and inspired passion for the WIN mission
HOW TO APPLY
Complete our Online Application Form on or before May 5th, 2020. The form will ask you to answer the questions below and upload your resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Why are you uniquely positioned to excel in this role?
- How would you assess WIN’s business model and fundraising strategy in your first month as ED? How would you operationalize a fundraising strategy to meet immediate needs for 2020 and to sustain and grow the organization in 2021?
- How would you engage the current WIN team, which includes a diverse, geographically dispersed network of volunteers? What would you anticipate as the biggest opportunities and challenges to WINs decentralized “staffing” model?
- General Management
Areas of impact