External Affairs Associate
The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
Your Position with TNC
The External Affairs Associate plans, implements and coordinates programs at the state and local government level to affect public policy to further the Conservancy’s mission. Duties include daily contact with local, state, and federal agencies and elected officials, on matters pertaining to administrative and legislative actions. They build and facilitate internal networks, plan and coordinate meetings, agendas, and presentations. They influence the outcome of policy at the federal, state and local government levels. They develop strategic partnerships with relevant agencies, conservation organizations, Tribes, traditional communities, and private sector to advance a shared conservation agenda for New Mexico.
• Bachelor’s degree in natural or social science, public policy, communications or other related degree and 4 years related experience or equivalent combination.
• Experience presenting to and/or communicating with business, government or legislative staff and/or program leadership.
• Experience in designing, implementing and directing multiple complex projects and ensuring program accountability.
• Experience written and oral communication, negotiating and organizational skills.
• Communications experience including preparing and presenting project proposals and developing written communications.
• Experience working with government agencies, private sector and NGO partners.
• Fluency in English.
• Master’s degree or other advanced degree.
• Education in a natural or social science.
• Spanish-speaking and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
• Familiarity with social, economic and political conditions and issues in New Mexico and/or the Southwestern U.S.
• Familiarity with climate change and renewable energy policy.
• Experience coordinating projects in a decentralized organization, working across teams, operating units and functions to achieve optimal results.
• Supervisory experience, including ability to set objectives and manage performance.
How to Appy
For more information and to apply, please visit www.nature.org/careers and search for job ID#__47200________ in the keyword search. Deadline to apply is 11:59 PM EST 1/27/2019. The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.