Human Resources Manager
Tides is a foundation and nonprofit partner committed to building a world of social justice and shared prosperity. Founded in 1976, Tides’ works at the cutting edge of today’s biggest challenges, with a focus on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals, families, and communities; and education. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Human Resources Manager is accountable for providing HR services to an assigned employee/client group in the areas of general policy, employee and management coaching, employee relations, performance management and other high touch human resource services. The Human Resources Manager is hands-on and provides full cycle HR support to drive functional excellence. Delivering on these commitments in a timely, accurate, and professional manner is critical to success in this role.
The Human Resources Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule. This position will be based in San Francisco.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops and maintains strong working relationships with assigned employee/client groups, as well as internal colleagues across Tides
• Interprets and delivers HR best practices for staff and managers, and develops HR policy in collaboration with HR management team
• Partners with HR colleagues and management to ensure consistent delivery of policy application and quality assurance of all HR services, resources, and tools
• Interprets and applies employee handbook, policies, procedures, practices, and regulations consistently across assigned employee/client groups and assures compliance with applicable federal, state and local labor laws, rules and regulations
• Provides coaching, guidance, and conflict management resolution best practices to staff and managers: encourages creative contributions and innovative solutions
• Ensures effective teamwork and coordination of HR service delivery with employee/client groups, as well as within the HR team
• Ensure managers adhere to Tides best practices for preparing and processing new hires, employee changes, and other related items
• Partners with employee/client personnel to develop accurate job descriptions in compliance with FLSA regulations and best practices, provides guidance on employee/contractor and exempt/non-exempt job classifications
• Researches and provides recommendations covering a wide variety of HR management strategies for achievement of change processes in compensation, performance management, staff development, employee engagement, and in other areas of the HR profession
• Determines plans of action and successfully resolves employment issues based on established policies, procedures, best practices, and consistent with applicable federal, state and local employment law guidelines
• Ensures a hands-on approach with staff and managers to reach a high level of engagement
• Partners with functional leaders and internal and/or external clients on a variety of HR management issues for timely and creative resolution
• Partners and collaborates with internal Tides intake staff to provide high level HR review and consultative support
• Provides new employees/clients with Tides prescribed on-boarding experience
• Conducts investigations and researches employee complaints for assigned employee/client groups in collaboration with HR management team
• Develops and conducts HR training for assigned projects, including new projects orientation, and HR skills training
• Pro-actively conducts periodic on-site HR visits to employee/client sites to assess HR needs, satisfaction, practices, and compliance
• Serves as liaison with outside legal counsel on HR related legal issues of assigned employee/client groups and represents Tides at regulatory agency hearings.
• Manages project related HR Initiatives and performs other duties and projects as assigned by Senior HR Manager.
• May be required to train and/or guide other team members
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
• Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
• Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
• Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
• Demonstrated ability to hold information strictly confidential
• Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties
• Substantial experience with ADP Workforce Now software a plus
• Proficiency with MS Office suite of products
• Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently in person, by phone and via email
• Ability to understand business goals and recommend new approaches
• Experience with rapid and complex changing work environments
• Strong coaching and mentoring skills; ability to navigate complex employee relations matters with tact and confidence
• Demonstrable expertise in providing unparalleled customer service
• Enthusiastic team player with a strong commitment to create a positive and engaging work environment
• Bias for action, strong work ethic, and desire to achieve excellence
• Ability to interface successfully at all levels of the organization
• Excellent critical thinker able to make solid judgments, decisions and solve problems
• Strong ability to consistently exercise sound judgment and superior analytical skills
• Understanding of local, multi-state and federal employment regulations, laws and best practices
• Strong project management skills with the ability to balance competing demands and satisfy conflicting needs with tact and diplomacy
• Strong experience using payroll and human resources software
• Strong organizational and tracking skills required
• Ability and willingness to travel occasionally to local client sites and also on infrequent long-distance business trips
Education and Experience:
• Undergraduate degree in Human Resources or related field with advanced degree preferred
• 5+ years of HR Generalist and/or HR business partner experience
• PHR or SPHR certification preferred, but not required
The Human Resources Manager works to achieve objectives by developing effective, proactive working relationships with all assigned employee/client group staff and managers in partnership with the HR management team. This position requires effective management of all high level Human Resources support services and related activities to ensure a high functioning, productive and effective client work environment that fosters learning, teamwork and a motivated work force.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the job.
• Must be able to clearly communicate with others to understand them and to be understood.
• Must be able to read and compose documents so that their intent is easily understood.
• Must be able to lift at least ten pounds from the floor to four feet above the floor.
• Must be able to effectively use a computer and telephone to conduct business for the duration of the entire work day.
• Must be able to maneuver between two (2) floors and within small office spaces
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT TIDES AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=thetides&job...
No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
- People/Human Resources