Manager, Carbon Asset Risk
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization engaging the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Manager, Carbon Asset Risk will support Ceres’ campaign to address climate risk issues facing the energy sector. The successful applicant will work with Ceres’ Oil and Gas, Electric Power, Investor Network and Climate Action 100+ teams to mobilize investors to help prevent catastrophic impacts of climate change by moving fossil fuel companies to invest significantly less capital in carbon intensive business models and assets. The Manager will also support engagements with other key market actors, such as banks and credit ratings agencies, who have the power to influence how the fossil fuel industry invests its capital.
This is an exciting time to be working with some of the world’s largest investors to engage with an industry that has considerable influence over the world’s future energy mix. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office and reporting to the Senior Director of Oil and Gas.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in developing and executing a comprehensive campaign strategy to discourage continued fossil fuel industry investment in high carbon fuels and infrastructure, and to encourage rapid transition to low-carbon energy.
- Support the Senior Director of the Oil and Gas Program in mobilizing a multi-trillion dollar investor coalition with the goal of reducing industry investment in at-risk assets.
- Conduct financial research and analysis of target companies and sectors to ensure timely, actionable reports and materials for the Carbon Asset Risk team and its partners to support engagements with companies, policymakers, and regulators.
- With guidance from the Senior Manager for Carbon Asset Risk, provide research and support for investors in developing new strategies, briefing shareholder proxy advisory firms, and making the business case for addressing Carbon Asset Risk.
- Work with the Carbon Asset Risk team, Senior Director of Electric Power and Senior Director of Transportation to integrate messaging and draft content for the Ceres and Carbon Asset Risk websites, press releases, reports and other publications.
- Coordinate and organize events, webinars, and speaking engagements to raise the profile of the issue of Carbon Asset Risk
- Travel, as needed, to engage with companies, investors and stakeholders.
- Support the development of fundraising proposals and reports related to Ceres’ corporate GHG work.
- Supervise work of interns necessary to advance campaign objectives.
Undertake some shared administrative work such as tracking company engagements and corporate commitments.
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to be an advocate for change.
- Proven project management experience, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail.
- Knowledge of, and experience related to, climate change, the energy sector and corporate sustainability issues; knowledge of the oil and gas and/or electric power industries is helpful, but not required.
- An understanding of the role of corporate finance and the investor community (including investment firms, financial institutions, and institutional investors) is preferred, but not required.
- Strong strategic thinking and tactical skills, and ability to mobilize constituencies toward identified goals.
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners and coalitions, and/or consultants.
- Sound judgement, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Strong meeting facilitation and verbal communication skills.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Aptitude for learning and synthesizing complex subject matter to advance advocacy objectives.
- Experience with Bloomberg Terminal and Salesforce a plus.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed when you go to ceres.org/about-us/career-opportunities and select the “Manager, Carbon Asset Risk” position.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Corporate Social Responsibility