Manager, Corporate Partnerships (New Business)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 185 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 450,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
The Manager of Strategic Alliances (New Business) will help recruit and design corporate partnerships and cause-based marketing campaigns for First Book. The organization is a leader in both philanthropic and public-private sector partnerships, focused on elevating education by providing access to books and educational resources to schools and programs serving kids in need.
The Manager will play a principal role in cultivating and strengthening corporate relationships in a dynamic, fast-paced organization led by an internationally recognized social entrepreneur, Kyle Zimmer. Responsibilities include corporate partner research, outreach, strategy development, relationship building, project management, brand marketing and budgeting. The Manager should possess expertise in corporate social responsibility and cause-based marketing that help partners reach their marketing goals while furthering the social good, and/or consulting with the private sector. Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong interest in fundraising, solid business writing and presentation skills, excellent verbal communication, experience with pitch formation and delivery, creative and bold thinking, exceptional critical thinking skills, and a passion for corporate social responsibility.
The Manager will work most closely with colleagues on the Strategic Alliances Team, as well as work collaboratively with teams across the organization to ensure that organizational needs are met through corporate partnerships. The Manager will report directly to the Senior Director of Strategic Alliances (New Business).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Develop dynamic funding proposals and pitches to new corporate partners
• Liaise with cross-functional First Book teams
• Lead and contribute to ideation sessions
• Prospect and secure corporate and foundation funding
• Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• A minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of work experience in a corporate fundraising capacity and a strong interest in corporate social responsibility
• A track record of leadership, innovation and creativity in the private sector is highly desirable
• Thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Be self-motivated
• Possess strong organization and time management skills
• Demonstrate strong leadership skills and the ability to think both analytically and creatively
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
• Exhibit excellent attention to detail
• Be passionate about making a tangible, measurable difference
• Exhibit a strong command of Microsoft Office tools; prior use of Salesforce or equivalent CRM system preferred
• Be able to travel, as needed, up to 40% in peak partnership activation periods
Education and/or Experience:
BA/BS required; MBA or equivalent preferred; past work experience in corporate fundraising.
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935.
See what First Book has been up to!:
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
- Communications / Marketing
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Private Sector
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Social Entrepreneurship