Parent Revolution, Executive Director
PARENT REVOLUTION, Executive Director
Parent Revolution is a Los Angeles-based 501c3 nonprofit organization with the mission to
ensure that families, especially those from historically underserved communities, can use their
power to secure an excellent education for their children, children in their community and all
children in California. The organization currently pursues its mission by combining direct service
with a community organizing campaign approach, supporting public school families to build and
use their power for long term, systemic change. Through the Choice4LA program, the Parent
Revolution team works with individual families to help them get their children into the public
schools that are right for them. Many of these families go on to become leaders in Parent
Revolution’s Parent Power Network (PPN), which uses a community organizing model to
develop the leadership capacity of families so they can influence their own children’s
educational opportunities and can collectively advocate for equitable educational opportunities
for all children in their community.
Parent Revolution’s staff, leaders and partners know that in all communities, parents hope that
through an excellent education, their children will have the opportunity to live their lives to the
fullest. But too many children in Los Angeles and throughout the state - especially underserved
students of color - are not able to access a quality education due to systems that perpetuate
racial inequities. To this end, Parent Revolution organizes parent-led campaigns through which
parents can turn their love and hopes for their children into action. Organizing is supplemented
by creating data, reports, partnerships and media opportunities as assets in service of parent
goals. Parent Revolution and the Parent Power Network are active at both the state level and
locally in the Los Angeles Unified School District.
To learn more about Parent Revolution, please visit https://www.parentrevolution.org/.
With the transition of current Executive Director Seth Litt, the Parent Revolution board and staff
are seeking an effective leader to take the organization into its next phase. This individual will:
continue and expand Parent Revolution’s leadership in increasing parent voice in education
policy-making locally in Los Angeles and statewide, including growing the network of parents
who are public-facing leaders and activists; support and continue developing the capacity of
Parent Revolution’s staff; build and execute on a sustainable fundraising strategy; work with the
staff and board to continue defining the organization’s core strategic priorities and long term
growth plan; and further the organization’s internal and external work around examining its
diversity, equity and inclusion practices.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced leader who: understands how to bring together a
diverse group of stakeholders towards a common vision; is unapologetic about their personal
guiding principle of ensuring that all students and families receive the education and life
opportunities they deserve; believes deeply in the power of parent voice; has experience
organizing people, money and systems towards policy outcomes; is an empathetic listener and
self-reflective individual; and is committed to furthering Parent Revolution’s work on behalf of
the parents and communities of color its efforts are designed to empower and support, despite
any external obstacles.
Key Responsibilities of the Executive Director include:
● Lead the Work to Lift Up Parent Voice and Power: Leading Parent Revolution staff to
continue strengthening programs and services to help low-income parents build their
leadership capacity and become a more powerful collective voice in the work to give all
children a quality education.
● Organizational Management and Internal Culture Leadership: Building and maintaining
strong management practices throughout the organization, sustaining the organization’s
culture of deep respect and value for the families it works with and organizes.
● External Communications and Community Building: Continue building strong alliances
with local and state partners, including school leaders, policymakers, elected officials,
community leaders and - most importantly - the parents, families and advocates that
Parent Revolution seeks to champion. Serve as the key spokesperson for the
organization in a variety of public settings, including with the press.
● Board Collaboration and Development: Supporting the Parent Revolution board in the
recruitment, support and development of its members, ensuring they are utilizing best
practices in governance and each person’s talents are recognized and leveraged to the
● Financial Sustainability: Developing a sustainable fundraising strategy for Parent
Revolution that will ensure the organization’s fiscal and operational strength for the
medium- and long-term.
● Strategic Leadership and Goal-Setting: Working closely with the board, staff and other
supporters to develop and execute on a strategic plan that is clear, visionary, with
specific milestones and goals that feed back to the organization’s mission of enabling
parents to improve their children’s educational opportunities.
A successful first year in this role for the new Executive Director will include:
● Continuing the impact of parent-leaders by organizing for at least two policy wins at the
local level and two at the state levels on issues selected by parents and campaigns led
● Growing the number of parents actively leading campaigns by 10%.
● Maintaining support from core funders while growing the organization’s revenue through
an expanded donor base totalling a 15% increase in revenue.
● Growing the Parent Revolution board of directors by at least two new members, while
increasing the diversity and involvement of the board.
● Demonstrating a consistent and important voice for educational equity that balances
your voice, the organization’s voice and the direct voice of public school families.
● Through all of the above targets, demonstrating an ability to mobilize resources in
support of parent leaders, particularly the ability to mobilize partner organizations and
coalitions to actively support campaigns led by families.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the ideal Executive Director candidate will be:
● An accomplished leader with success in nonprofit/social service management and
experience in community organizing, policy advocacy and/or the K-12 education sector.
● Deeply committed to Parent Revolution’s mission of ensuring that families from
underserved communities can use their power to secure an excellent education for their
children, children in their communities and all children statewide.
● Steadfast and resilient in the face of personal, professional and political opposition.
● A culturally competent and a self-reflective leader who understands the effects of race,
class, ethnicity, income, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and other
issues of difference in society and is able to lead direct, honest conversations about
them with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
● Experienced in raising funds for their organization (at a similar level to Parent
Revolution’s budget needs).
● Skilled in developing, collaborating with and engaging governing boards.
● A builder of authentic relationships with community partners, policymakers, funders and
other supporters, able to engage with a variety of individuals and speak in a clear and
compelling manner about the organization’s goals and priorities.
● Effective and inspiring in their management style; willing to devote time to coach and
develop their team while holding them accountable to measurable results.
● Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and organization; able to focus on and
communicate organizational priorities while not losing sight of the details; and align
vision with defined values.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary range of $165,000-190,000 and robust benefits
including medical, dental, retirement and family leave. More details can be provided upon
Please submit a resume online at https://bit.ly/3eSZyyA. For additional questions about this
position or to speak with someone about your interest, please contact Kevin Bryant at
firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510.575.9635.
Parent Revolution is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. Recruiting staff to create an inclusive organization is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Candidates are evaluated solely on their qualifications to perform the work required.