Senior Advisor, Strategic Partnerships
Tides is a philanthropic partner and nonprofit accelerator dedicated to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Tides works at the nexus of funders, changemakers, and policy, with extensive impact solutions including philanthropic giving and grantmaking, impact investing, fiscal sponsorship for social ventures, collaborative workspaces, and policy initiatives. Our extensive tools and know-how give our partners the freedom to hit the ground running and drive change faster than they can on their own.
The Senior Advisor (SA) is a member of the Strategic Partnerships (SP) team, a high-performing business development team focused on engaging with core client segments, building relationships through consultative selling and closing new business to grow Tides philanthropic grantmaking, impact investing and social venture (fiscally sponsored) client base. The role will standardize outreach and engagement strategies and execution plans across core client segments (foundations, individuals and families, corporate partners, and social change leaders). This position will have a particular focus on managing new business intake, outreach and engagement of one or more specific segments.
The SA will work collaboratively with the SP team and other Tides departments to lead the design and execution of a comprehensive engagement strategy for the one or more primary segments within his/her portfolio with a goal of growing the number of new partners utilizing Tides services tailored to each segment. The SA will work with other SP members to coordinate and report on outreach and engagement efforts across all segments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The SA will be responsible for leading outreach and engagement efforts with Tides key client segments, and acquiring new segment partners that align with Tides’ vision, mission and approach. They will design and execute a comprehensive strategy, including: service innovations (new product design); direct outreach and marketing; thought leadership (producing articles, blogs, and panel presentations); hosted events; as well as, facilitating channel partnerships in service of the SP team work plan and Tides’ overall business development objectives. The SA will also contribute to intake and onboarding efforts of newly landed clients. The SA is expected to use his/her deep understanding of the philanthropic sector and Tides’ service offerings to pursue new opportunities. The SA will be expected to meet or exceed quarterly and annual goals, developed together with the Director of Strategic Partnerships.
Fueling Growth (60%):
● Using a consultative sales approach, understand the needs of prospective partners and how Tides can help them meet their goals and increase opportunities for social impact.
● Cultivate deep, ongoing relationships with segment partners, their practitioners, and relevant affinity groups and networks to generate new strategic partnerships and business for Tides.
● Manage and ensure the success of segment-related partnerships and/or special initiatives (ex. Pledge 1%).
● Develop and lead execution of high-value engagement events.
● Test and develop diversified marketing tactics as part of a cross-departmental marketing team.
Service Innovations (20%):
● Coordinate efforts across Communications, Strategic Partnerships and Client Services departments to stay atop segment and cross sector collaboration trends and improve/align Tides service offerings and pricing.
● Contribute to ongoing improvements and efficiency of intake and onboarding of business development opportunities utilizing Salesforce and other resources.
● Contribute to consultative approach to onboarding new social venture/fiscal sponsorship opportunities.
● Initiate and work collaboratively to develop prospective client proposals and presentation materials.
Voice & Influence (20%):
● Promote Tides’ strategic advisory (consulting) and collaborative services across segments in collaboration with relevant Client Services staff.
● Engage with the Communications team to tailor Tides’ strategic voice and influence activities for relevant segments in written publications and events.
● Personally model best practices for high value engagement and business development at industry events, including those sponsored or hosted by Tides.
● Drive the Tides Vision, Mission and Approach into action.
● Serve as a Primary Liaison for given segment outreach with segment related Client Services team members.
● Demonstrate commitment to cross boundaries inside and outside the organization as needed to drive acceleration and improve relationships between people and groups.
● Ability to travel approximately 25% of the month.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Bachelor’s degree required and an advanced degree, especially MBA preferred, or equivalent business/partnership development experience.
● 8+ years of relevant and applicable work experience in the field of nonprofit management or nonprofit consulting and/or philanthropic advising or consulting.
● Independent, motivated self-starter who collaborates well with colleagues and internal teams.
● Demonstrated commitment to social change and ability to engage in strategic thinking and conversation around issues of shared prosperity and social justice.
● Demonstrated experience in new business generation.
● Demonstrated experience in business and client development, the structuring of complex offers, and negotiating terms.
● Deep understanding and experience of foundations and the philanthropic sector.
● A strong understanding of intermediary services and Tides Vision, Mission and Approach.
● Ability to build long term relationships with good networking track record.
● Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst multiple commitments, and to drive multiple complex projects simultaneously in a challenging and fluid environment.
● Excellent communication and listening skills with senior levels of management and all levels of staff and clients.
● Proficiency with Salesforce as a lead management tool is preferred.
● Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
- Sales/Business Development
Areas of impact
- Job Search
- Social Sector