Senior Communications Manager
Tides is a philanthropic partner and nonprofit accelerator dedicated to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Tides works at the nexus of funders, changemakers, and policy, with extensive impact solutions including philanthropic giving and grant making, impact investing, fiscal sponsorship for social ventures, collaborative workspaces, and policy initiatives. Our extensive tools and know-how give our partners the freedom to hit the ground running and drive change faster than they can on their own. For more information, please visit www.tides.org Opens a New Window.
Provide strategic and thought leadership to increase Tides’ brand awareness and spread the word about Tides’ VMA. Ensure alignment and integration of branding across Tides’ entities and materials. Expand, map and segment key audiences and work to deepen their engagement through updated website, digital comms, online marketing and advertising strategies using fresh and compelling content, video and photo imagery. Responsible for collateral, such as annual report, brochures and reports. Manage website improvements and updates. Support media and public relations efforts, including events and other outreach. Serve as a strategic thought partner with internal stakeholders tasked with internal comms work and provide comms expertise and support.
· Supervise the Marketing Coordinator and Internal Communications Manager to achieve external and internal engagement goals
· Manage comms department budget to ensure efficient and effective use of resources to meet departmental goals
· Provide strategic support and consulting for key Communications organizational priorities through stakeholder partnership and proactive recommendations
· Create structures and processes for teams to operate more effectively and efficiently
· Frame and break down complex Communications problems into key components, identify areas of opportunity, and recommend practical solutions and steps toward driving results
· Drive implementation of significant short- and long-term efforts to advance Tides brand identity and increase visibility of our brand across key stakeholders and audience
· Partner with strategic partnerships and client services departments to drive business objectives through communications efforts
Marketing Strategy & Implementation
· Develop and implement integrated marketing strategy across client segments via diverse outreach channels, including digital channels (emails, ads, & social media), events and thought leadership.
· Design and execute outreach campaigns and messaging to expand Tides influence, amplify the works of our partners and generate deeper engagement across key stakeholders
· Integrate marketing strategy outreach efforts with business development pipeline and goals
· Develop key positioning and messaging for campaigns and project manage production of content for campaigns, including emails, digital, video, blogs, etc.
· Incorporate and lead partner marketing/influencer strategies, aligned with Tides and partner business objectives to increase brand awareness and engagement
Client Communications Support
· Design and pilot ongoing value-added standardized communications to all current F&C clients, featuring valuable content and a consistent Tides voice (above and beyond advisor-client 1:1 comms) and leveraging existing marketing digital channels (emails, ads, & social media), events and thought leadership.
· Provide communications expertise to advisors and their clients, funds, grantees to support service goals and clients needs
· Explore new communications/branding/fundraising support services to current clients, in coordination with Client Services
· Develop and implement an integrated, data-driven digital comms strategy, including audience mapping and segmentation, and measurement of impact on Tides’ goals and objectives;
· Develop digital content for targeted audience cultivation activities;
· Reach new people, relevant networks and prospects, drive people to our website and social media platforms for deeper engagement;
· Develop and implement email and automated marketing campaigns across targeted audience cohorts
· Design and implement Google Adwords, social media ads, to drive brand awareness and marketing leads
PR/Crisis Communications Support
· Manage contact lists updates in coordination with business process dept.
· Help with crisis comms plan updates
· Provide crisis comms-related coordination and media and PR support
· Support development of Tides strategic communications goals, framework and schedule around key themes, audiences and channels to get Tides brand, VMA, POV and value-add out to the sector and beyond.
· Manage Tides brand and reputation by conducting landscape review around key topics to identify opportunities to define and position Tides position in the philanthropic space
· Set editorial schedule and work with internal authors, external experts and writing consultants.
· Actively work across the organization on voice, thought leadership and communication.
· Review all efforts for consistency and tie into strategic themes.
· Think differently, think strategically and within ecosystem, not just what is inside Tides.
· Ensure close alignment of communications activities with all marketing efforts
· Oversee development of all print communications and marketing collateral, and electronic comms including the website and new media.
· Maintain Tides story and improve storytelling and content production efforts, drafting various thought pieces and/or manage content writers and consultants, as needed
· Support and help execute on executive and internal communications goals throughout organization
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· A strong understanding and alignment with Tides Vision, Mission and Approach.
· Ability to work effectively with people from different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives.
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build trust and rapport with internal stakeholders.
· Excellent, proactive team player.
· Superb listening, writing, and presentation skills.
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst multiple commitments, and to drive multiple high profile and complex projects simultaneously in a challenging and fluid environment.
· Interest in using and incorporating new and emerging technologies to facilitate internal communications.
· Production and event management experience a plus.
· A strong work ethic and sense of humor.
Education and Experience
· 10-12 years of strategic communications experience
· Master’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
· Business development and fundraising experience
· Significant experience developing and managing complex, multi-department projects and initiatives
· Organizational and departmental strategy and goal setting experience
· MS Office suite of products experience
· Backend, CRM, and CMS experience
· Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and/or other graphics and design software experience
· Experience with marketing automation platforms like HubSpot
· Video editing knowledge and experience
· Graphic design knowledge and experience
· Knowledge of HTML/CSS
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
- Communications / Marketing
Areas of impact
- Social Sector