Senior Director, Corporate Partnerships (New Business)
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 185 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 450,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position:
Do you have a private sector head and a public sector heart? First Book seeks a creative, entrepreneurial individual to lead new business development strategies for this fast-growing organization. The position sources and cultivates corporate partnerships, and also focuses on capacity-building and programmatic strategies that support our organizational growth. This is a fast-paced, cutting edge, and business-oriented nonprofit social enterprise with an energetic atmosphere.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and launch cause marketing campaigns and corporate partnerships that directly benefit local communities in need.
• Develop overarching strategy to secure new corporate relationships in collaboration with Senior Leadership at First Book.
• Design and lead new business strategies to secure additional unrestricted corporate funds to further First Book’s mission.
• Conceptualize, develop, and present funding concepts and pitches to leading multinational corporations.
• Forge new relationships with potential corporate funders and develop leads.
• Lead efforts to prioritize funding opportunities and prospect lists in collaboration with the Strategic Alliances and Executive Team.
• Collaborate across marketing communications, engagement, e-commerce and operations to create and implement value-added, integrated programs that advance organizational goals.
• Respond to and undertake special projects that advance the department as requested by SVP, Strategic Alliances.
• Collaborate with SVP and VP, Strategic Alliances on the ongoing development of the department including overall vision, operational processes, staffing, professional development, performance management, etc.
• Work with other department leaders to develop monitoring and results frameworks for key performance indicators (KPIs). Ensure consistency in the variety of KPIs across projects, to be in alignment with overall project portfolio goals.
• Manage a team of passionate staff members who lead and support new business development efforts.
• Meet annual financial goals as determined by the Executive Team and SVP, Strategic Alliances.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
• Demonstrated track record in sales and account management with corporate philanthropy or cause marketing programs, with a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in a client services environment.
• Track record of meeting annual goals in excess of $1MM.
• Must possess creative and entrepreneurial spirit.
• Experience securing funds from Fortune 500 companies and/or major philanthropic foundations a requirement, with current contacts maintained at those institutions.
• Global partnership expertise preferred.
• Strong relationship management skills for dealing with a range of partners and industries.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the internal staff and external clients.
• Experience working in a matrixed reporting structure environment.
• Excellent business writing and presentation skills.
• Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Exceptional organizational skills and time management required. Must have the ability to meet designated deadlines.
• Must be able to work in a fast paced multi-tasked environment as a member of a vibrant team
• Travel is required as necessary, up to 40% during peak periods.
Education and/or Experience:
• MBA or M.A. in a related educational field preferred. BS required.
• Prior work experience in private and social impact sectors; consulting or agency experience preferred.
Candidates are invited to submit a resume, and a cover letter that details your interest in the position. If you need assistance applying please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935.
See what First Book has been up to!:
- Communications / Marketing
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Social Entrepreneurship