Senior Manager, Corporate Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization engaging the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the global economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Corporate Greenhouse Gas Emissions will coordinate and actively drive Ceres’ work to address corporate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The successful applicant will collaborate with Ceres’ Climate & Energy, Investor Network and Company Network teams to spur and enable companies to set and meet robust GHG emission reduction targets, including where feasible Science-Based Targets (SBTs) aligned with limiting global temperature rise to 1.5° Celsius pursuant to the Paris Agreement. The Senior Manager also will support engagements with other key market actors and organizations that influence corporate GHG targets.
This is an exciting time to be working with some of the world’s most influential companies and investors to reduce private sector GHG emissions. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office and reporting to the Director, Corporate Clean Energy Leadership.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and implement cross-organizational strategy to boost private sector uptake of robust GHG emission reduction targets, working in close coordination with the Director, Corporate Clean Energy Leadership and in collaboration with the Climate & Energy, Company Network, Investor, Network Policy/BICEP Network, and Food and Forests teams.
- Coordinate with Ceres’ Investor Network Team to mobilize investors around engagement with companies on GHG targets.
- Coordinate, oversee and/or conduct research on corporate GHG targets and Scope 1, 2, and 3 GHG reduction strategies, with a particular focus on the business case, opportunities, and public policy context for investors and companies.
- Refine and strengthen the business case for corporate GHG targets, with a focus on SBTs.
- Work with the Ceres Communications Team and Corporate Clean Energy Leadership Director to draft content for the Ceres website, newsletters, press releases, reports and other publications.
- Liaise with the Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi), track SBTi developments, and coordinate Ceres’ input on the design of new or updated sector-specific frameworks, SBT guidance for companies and investors, etc.
- Represent Ceres in connection with external partnerships and at strategic convenings and events regarding corporate GHG targets.
- Help equip other staff and Investor Network members to engage with companies on GHG targets, including SBTs.
- Support the development of fundraising proposals and reports related to Ceres’ corporate GHG work.
- Supervise work of consultants and/or interns necessary to advance campaign objectives.
- Undertake some shared administrative work such as tracking company engagements, collecting success stories and tracking corporate commitments.
- Assist or lead with management of events to advance campaign objectives.
- Travel, as needed, to engage with companies, investors and stakeholders.
- Minimum of seven years of work experience in a related environmental or sustainability field;
- Knowledge of, and experience related to climate change, corporate GHG emissions (including Scopes 1, 2 and 3), and SBTs – including SBT methodologies and sector-specific frameworks;
- Understanding of the role of business and the financial sector/investment community;
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, strong initiative and motivation;
- Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong strategic thinking and tactical skills, and ability to mobilize constituencies toward identified goals;
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners and coalitions;
- Aptitude for learning and synthesizing complex subject matter to advance advocacy objectives;
- Advocacy or campaign experienced preferred;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Experience managing staff and consultants, with a track record of cultivating effective supervisory relationships across gender identify, race ethnicity, and socio-economic background:
- Strong meeting facilitation and verbal communication skills;
- Experience working with the media, a plus;
- Knowledge regarding corporate clean energy investment and finance, a plus;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforces and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, Google Docs, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
Areas of impact
- Corporate Social Responsibility