Sr. ESG Data & Research Analyst
Senior Analyst – ESG Data and Research
Climate Advisers Trust—a respected research and public policy group dedicated to strengthening climate action in the United States and around the world—seeks a Senior ESG Research and Data Analyst to join our growing team. The Senior Analyst will lead investment research, contribute to thought leadership on ESG issues related to land use, and publish Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) analysis with a geographic focus on Asia Pacific and Latin America. This role is a full-time salaried position based in Washington, D.C with approximately 10 percent international and domestic travel required.
• Perform financial and ESG quantitative and qualitative analysis to inform investment research, develop thematic narratives and compose research briefs targeted towards both the finance and non-finance communities.
• Contribute to thought leadership on ESG issues related to forests and land use
• Lead and contribute to project research and analysis strategy for raising compelling insights on forest issues.
• Create and interpret financial datasets and translate into knowledge products.
• Identify potential new financial or ESG data sources relevant to the project and assess the strengths and weaknesses of these data sets.
• Analyze and communicate climate change and environmental sustainability risks in financial terms.
• Coordinate with financial and ESG database providers as needed.
• Engage with the financial community in diverse geographies around the world (i.e. South East Asia, Latin America, North America).
• Support, and at times lead trainings with partners on use of the financial and ESG data for forest-specific analyses.
• Provide day-to-day oversight on work streams and deliverables for associated projects, working with and managing external contractors.
• 4-8 years’ experience in financial analysis.
• Experience/education in global capital markets required and land-use and climate change knowledge strongly desired.
• Bachelor's degree required in Mathematical Economics, Data Science, Finance or Analytics. Other relevant concentrations will also be considered.
• Strong evidence of an ability to interpret data and information to form an investment conclusion related to forests and other land-uses within the climate change context
• Experience working with big-data management and analysis including capture, curation, storage, search and transfer.
• Knowledge of relevant systems, tools or statistical packages such as Stata or programming languages such has R, or Python, with mathematical packages for statistical and financial applications.
• Ability to research publication ideas, writing and publishing investment news on a regular and timely basis under tight deadlines to broad audiences, some of whom are unfamiliar with financial terminology.
• Demonstrated experience sourcing ESG data (ex. Bloomberg, MSCI ESG Direct) with the ability to determine materiality, and develop and/or source ESG indicators.
• Familiarity and comfort with interpreting corporate financial statements and disclosures.
• Ability to conduct independent corporate and financial engagement.
• Strong network and knowledge of the financial services sector.
• Masters or MBA in relevant disciplines.
• Working proficiency with Spanish, Portuguese, or Bahasa.
• Understanding of ESG issues within agricultural commodity sectors.
• Articulate, possessing integrity and an ability to inspire trust.
• Comfort working collegially in a small, dynamic organization.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability and flexibility in problem-solving and implementing solutions.
• Ability to manage, prioritize, and multi-task on multiple projects and ability to surge when projects demand to meet deadlines.
• Must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated passion for forest, agriculture and other soft commodity supply chains and their roles in mitigating and adapting to climate change.
About Climate Advisers Trust
Climate Advisers Trust is a policy, research and advocacy organization working to deliver the post-carbon economy. In the United States and around the world, Climate Advisers Trust creates and implements large-scale, cost-effective strategies to strengthen climate action and improve lives. The organization conducts this work in partnership with leading philanthropies, think tanks, advocacy groups, international institutions, companies and governments. Climate Advisers Trust offers an award-winning culture and beautiful office environment that emphasizes transparency, risk taking and collaboration. The organization’s work to reduce emissions from deforestation is its largest practice area. Communicating to investors, financial analysts and asset managers the material risks associated with climate change is the organization’s fastest growing area of work. Climate Advisers Trust's traditional core competency and international reputation stems from expertise in climate diplomacy. The organization works in many other areas as well, including aviation, renewable energy, energy efficiency, carbon pricing, supply chains, advocacy campaigns and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy
Climate Advisers Trust is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and strives to select the best-qualified person for each position in the organization. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. Organization management is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability
- Research/Data Analysis
- Supply Chain
Areas of impact