Sustainability Analyst (part-time Intern)
New Forests seeks a part-time intern in the role of Sustainability Analyst to support its expanding corporate sustainability programs, reporting to the Director, Sustainability & Communications and based in San Francisco. The Sustainability Analyst will support the execution of New Forests’ responsible investment strategy, the administration and continual improvement of its Social and Environmental Management System (SEMS), and support New Forests’ Sustainable Landscape Investment (SLI) approach through environmental, social, and governance (ESG) and impact management.
The Sustainability Analyst supports the growing scope of New Forests’ sustainability programs across New Forests’ corporate operations and investment programs totaling approximately USD 4 billion in assets under management. Given these responsibilities, the role is expected to have exposure to New Forests’ international funds management teams and corporate services on a regular basis. New Forests seeks candidates with demonstrated interest and experience in sustainability, particularly as relates to land use, forestry, or sustainable development.
The primary roles and responsibilities of this position are:
• Support New Forests’ SLI program, including development of a toolkit for sustainability benchmarking and performance management
• Provide administrative and management support for the company’s SEMS, including supporting internal compliance, providing policy input, and supporting continual improvement through best practice recommendations
• Administrative support to the Director, Sustainability & Communications, as needed, to ensure timely delivery of sustainability outputs and objectives, including the development and implementation of strategic impact and advocacy initiatives as needed
• Support sustainability reporting and other content generation on thematic sustainability issues for internal, external, and investor audiences
The role will be based at New Forests’ US office in downtown San Francisco. The office is a focused team of dedicated professionals, and New Forests seeks a motivated and mature candidate to join us.
Qualifications, skills and experience
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to distill and synthesize technical sustainability information for various audiences, including investors, peers, and other stakeholders
• A foundation in conservation biology, ecology, natural resource management, sustainable business, and/or social fields including cultural anthropology or ecological anthropology
• Familiarity with environmental policy and global agendas, including the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals
• Previous exposure to concepts of corporate sustainability, responsible investment, and impact investing will be a plus
• Good Microsoft Office skills including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel
• Strong time management and organizational skills
• An ability to work independently and prioritize effectively
• A keen attention to detail
• Ability to build strong relationships and work within a team environment
Commitment / Internship Structure
The ideal candidate will be able to work a total of 15 hours per week, with at least 10 hours in New Forests’ downtown San Francisco office, maintain a consistent work schedule. Internships will have a minimum expected duration of six months, with possibility of extension upon mutual agreement. In exchange, New Forests commits to provide mentorship, support, and flexible work arrangements to enable the intern to gain valuable experience while managing other work and/or academic activities. New Forests can also provide the intern exposure to a high-impact investment business environment with international scope and aiming to address some of the greatest challenges facing our world’s forest resources.
Remuneration will be dependent on candidate and terms of internship. New Forests is flexible to provide hourly pay, stipends for incidentals and travel expenses, or to work with students seeking academic credit for work experience.
About New Forests
New Forests is a sustainable real assets investment manager offering leading-edge strategies in forestry, land management, and conservation. Founded in 2005, we offer institutional investors targeted opportunities in the Asia-Pacific region and the United States and have approximately USD 4 billion in assets under management globally. Our assets include sustainable timber plantations, rural land, and conservation investments related to ecosystem restoration and protection. New Forests focuses on managing our clients’ assets for a future in which landscapes will encompass both production and conservation values. New Forests manages more than 970,000 hectares of land and forests and is headquartered in Sydney with offices in San Francisco, Singapore, and New Zealand. New Forests is a proud member of the Certified B Corporation community that uses business to solve social and environmental challenges.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume, explaining your interest in and suitability for the position, in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include “Sustainability Analyst SF” in the subject line of the email.
Phone calls will not be accepted.
New Forests is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Corp. Responsibility and Sustainability