The Net Impact Plant-Based Food Fellowship is an inspiring opportunity to work on a salient issue that impacts the future of food and our environment while also building cutting edge skills that challenge you to lead differently. This academic year program that runs from October 1 through May 31 will give you the resources and thought partnership to design and implement an innovative project focused on changing the way we understand and recognize the impact of a plant-based food culture on climate change, health, and social justice. (See this recent NY Times article to learn more) As a Fellow, you will you will join a national movement of Net Impact Fellows that are inspiring dialogue and action around these interconnected issues, have the opportunity to receive training from experts in the field at the 2019 NI Conference in Detroit, Michigan, and also participate in an engaging online leadership curriculum. Consider applying if you are passionate about these issues, committed to growing your leadership skills, and excited to join an innovative learning community of 20 Fellows from across the United States.ActiveIndividualUnited States & CanadaAll expense paid trip to attend Net Impact Conference, project stipend, leadership curriculum, mentorship
- All undergraduate and graduate students who are members of Net Impact chapters in the U.S. and Canada are eligible to apply and will be given priority
- Fellows who are not part of a Net Impact chapter will work towards starting one as part of the program
- Fellows are required to attend the 2019 Net Impact Conference
- Fellows are required to develop draft project proposals prior to the 2019 Net Impact Conference and present them during the Fellowship training at the conference
- Fellows are required to participate in one group call in October prior to attending the Net Impact conference in Detroit
- Fellows are required to complete monthly online leadership curriculum and participate in monthly leadership calls. (This will require approximately 5 hours a month of your time.)
- Fellows are required to execute their projects and submit final reports documenting their impact. (This will require 3-5 hours a week of your time depending on the scope of your project.
- All expenses paid attendance at the 2019 Net Impact Conference in Detroit on Oct 24-26 where Fellows will connect with inspiring changemakers and leaders, participate in skill-building workshops, and engage in Fellowship-specific trainings
- Receive up to $1000 leadership stipend
- Receive a $800 project stipend to support the execution of your project
- Get hands on experience by designing and implementing a social change project on your campus (Net Impact will support you with mentorship)
- Develop your leadership skills through our leadership curriculum and monthly mentorship
- Learn from an inspiring cohort of students from around the country as well as experts in leadership and plant-based food
- Share your changemaking story with the world
- September 15: Early Bird deadline to submit draft application and receive feedback before final submission
- September 22: Deadline to submit application
- September 30: Selected Fellows announced
- October 1 - 23: Fellows begin online leadership curriculum, create a draft project proposal to share at the conference, and join one group call
- Oct 24-26: Fellows attend 2019 Net Impact Conference in Detroit, MI
- Fellows finalize design of their projects and submit final project proposal and budget
- Fellows implement projects
- Fellows evaluate impact and submit final reports
- Engagement with online leadership curriculum
- Monthly video conference calls with your cohort and NI staff
- Access to plant based food and leadership experts
What is Net Impact Central looking for in Fellows?
The Net Impact Fellowship was created to support to support emerging leaders in creating real impact – either through measurably educating peers or creating lasting institutional change on campus. We are looking for individuals who have an initial project vision (don’t worry, we’ll help you evolve and refine it), and are committed to participating fully in the Fellowship, including the online leadership curriculum as well as project design and implementation. If you want to build your leadership skills through curriculum, mentorship, and hands-on project experience, then this Fellowship is ideal for you.
Will I get paid to participate in this Fellowship Program?
You will receive free Net Impact Conference registration (plus airfare and hotel), up to $800 project stipend to complete a social change project on your campus, up to $1000 leadership stipend, virtual leadership development training, and access to a cohort of like-minded peers.
What if I want to be a Fellow but I can't attend the Net Impact Conference?
It is required for all Fellows to attend the Net Impact Conference in Detroit, Michigan, October 24-26. The Conference is an amazing opportunity to meet the other Fellows, develop your social change projects, receive training from industry experts, and build your overall network.
How much of a time commitment is it to be a Fellow?
The Fellowship runs from October 1, 2019 - May 31, 2020. Fellows on average spend 5 hours per month engaging with online leadership curriculum and participating in monthly learning calls that deep dive into key leadership and project aspects. In addition, Fellows devote approximately 3-5 hours a week on their projects.
Do I have to be a vegetarian or vegan to apply since the topic is plant-based food?
Applicants do not have to be vegetarian or vegan to be considered for this program. What we are interested in are individuals who are genuinely interested in advocating for the benefits of plant-based food, particularly as this impacts interconnected issues including climate change, health and nutrition, and social justice.
Do I have to have previous experience or other demonstrated interest in the issue of plant-based foods in order to be considered?
Previous experience or demonstrated interest will certainly strengthen the competitiveness of your application. However, if you are only beginning to think about this issue and are inspired to influence a culture shift towards plant-based food, we will still give your application serious consideration.
Have more questions?
Email us at email@example.com